ecplipse vs sc

sc0tty8

Well, my friend is thinking of getting a 98 ecplise gsx, awd, 20, turbo, 5 speed...

He keeps telling me how it is more superior on everything and how it is faster.

I pulled up the stats on one, and, it makes some decent power, but, it is only .3 seconds faster.

I am growing tired of hearing him talk about it. Infact, IF he gets it, he wants to race it against my sc.

I told him to bring it. I am thinking of throwing on an over drive pulley and a raised top just so he stfu. It gets sicking ing. Every car he has had had to be better then the bird...he went from a chevy crapice, to a 01 gran prix, and, now, this ecplise.

I told him he is already woned in the fact I have more leg room, my car is more comfotable, and, both my birds are paid off.

I am just getting tired of it.

He would be the type where if I had an enzo, he would still argue why his car is better.

I need some ammo to make him stfu.

Those cars are not that fast. My sister has a 91 turbo DSM with exhuast, boost mods and a few other things and I smoke her with no problems. I say mod up the SC and shut him up. I have raced many cars in my 90 SC and have rarely lost (twice in fact). I say race him and see what happens.

PS. I could take a tin can put a fan on the back and make it go fast. It takes real power to make a 4000lb car move!!!

welll stock they arnt fast....But unlike an SC cheap mods make em move..To a point..Then they start blowin up

Last edited:
I agree with that. The first few mods are cheap but after that it does get expensive like everything else. I know a guy in Calgary who has a 91 AWD Laser and he put $6000 in it and it runs 14.3 in a 1/4 mile. Not bad for 3600 feet above sea level. But it is ALWAYS broken, he has been through 2 clutches in 2 months and now he can barley start it because the clutch is always engaged. Give me the AR and I will spank him.

A friend of mine has one of those cars and I know a common way to modify them is to add a boost controller and turn it way up whenever more power is desired. This has two drawbacks however. One, it adds more turbo lag and better driving skills are requird. Two is as Damon said. After doing this long enough, my friend started having a phenomenon called 'crank walk'', fairly common in these cars modified, apparently the crank begins to 'walk' or move forward in its journal which causes damage to both the crank and block.

If you make any modifications to your car, be sure they start with the restrictive exhaust system. Winning a race is not worth blowing headgaskets and possibly damaging the engine. If you are not already aware, the main components regaurded as restrictive in our system are the catalytic converters and resonator. After these things and their appropriate piping are tended to, the collectors/manifold usually become the next target.

Goodluck!

well i migth disagree a DSM is a looot easiier/cheaper to modify they have no problems with traction due to AWD , with about 1000 bucks you can be running high 13's or low low low 14's

my buddy had a 91 eclipse turbo 5 speed. IT was a quick little car! When i first got my sc we raced (about 8 times before he got rid of it, because it died) I won all the races off the line. We would take off from a light and i would get about a 5 foot jump on him right away and from there it was dead even. The only time he caught me was once when we stayed into the gas past 110 mph, when i ran out of third gear.

Well, for mods in my car, I have no cats/resonator, and I have 3.27's in the rear end, and a crazy driver behind the wheel(me!).

I told him when/if he gets it and give me a call, I told him the loser buys lunch at BK, and I will be hungry;)

keep it friendly and fun. let him run his mouth, if thats his thing....fine. itll get shut really fast in this car world nowadays. Theres alotta fast cars out there ;)

SC UL8R1990 said:
keep it friendly and fun. let him run his mouth, if thats his thing....fine. itll get shut really fast in this car world nowadays. Theres alotta fast cars out there ;)

I am well aware of this, and, if he gets the car, I am thinking a raised top and over drive pulley might be an option, I am also going to be making a custom CAI one of these weekends when I got the time to do it.

id mess with him while you are stock. youll be suprised. my 90 5speed pulled an awd talon on the street all the way to 60mph. i thought i was going to get cooked. That was with a K&N and a crappy exhaust.those cars arent anything to be afraid of stock. ;)

Is there a site that posts 1/4 mile times for these cars as I found one site that puts the GSX stock at 13.5 They all posted time slips but If this is the case you better look into some heavy mods my friend. Tell your friend you are looking into buying a Mclaren F1 as a daily driver. :D

I give up, What is a DSM? I thought we were talking about a eclipse GSX all wheel drive turbo.

DSM= Diamond star motor

and my friend had a 95 gsx with bigger turbo, and he had the crank walk on him two times and sold it after the third engine went in her...talk about a reliable car...it was fasts no doubt, but the bottom end is pretty poopy...

Well stock for stock, the 98 ecplipse is .3 seconds faster. He has to sell his current ride first, so, I figure 2 weeks about or at least b4 he can think about buying it.

Then, I am thinking raised top, cai, and 10% OD pulley, and then I will show him why I am the superior race. Yes, it will be fun to shut him up. I plan to record it and take pics of the ordeal, and have a few people he knows there that get tired of him thinking his car is superior, so, they can remind him later how slow he is.

I am adding the extras so I can be as far ahead of him as possible.

A guy at work told me he would smoke me stock, and, did not want to hear it any other way...some ricers are just so ignorant. I should buy a civic and put a rocket booster muffler on there and act like I am fast :rolleyes:

lol my friend had one of those **** *** cars but he totalled it when he rear ended my car sucks lol my car laughed at it and his was shot hood folded in half core support jammed in there and the block cracked and my bumper was damaged not a sc tho dont worry guys

my roomate has a 5 spd first gen dsm with (and i could be missing something) hardpipes, fmic, gutted interior, greddy bov(if that counts) and a boost controller(boost is currently set at 9lbs, as he doesn't want to smoke his bottom end). He just had it at the (1/8th)track on wed and was running consistent 8.90's @80.xxx mph. Another one of our buddies has basically the same set up with a few more bolt-ons and runs consistent 12.60's at 10x.xxx mph at the quarter mile track.

maybe it's just me but civics,eclipses,talons,srt-4s and so on and on are just cheap cars that people try to make into race cars.you can do that with anything.you can take a pacer or a pinto and make it a race car with enough money,time and effort.but my theory on the whole thing is you take a turd and polish it up all nice and shiny,but in the end all you still just have is a turd.look at the prices of these cars.then look at the prices of our cars new back in the day.i think sc's were like $26,000 in 1989 my sho taurus were like $28,000 vs 1989 civic new was probably like 11-13,000.and look at a $19,000 srt-4 sure for alot less $ you can get 300-400 hp out of them compared to the $35,000 cobra or $33,000 lightning.but they (cobra and lightning) come stock with almost 400 hp.and with a lil money you can easily get 500 hp out of them.i would easily trust a 500 hp cobra or lightning vs a 400 or 500 hp srt-4 anyday.i expect you won't see hardly any 2003 srt-4's in 2013,being that most people around me that own them are like 18 years old and are dogging the crap out of them.same goes for the rest of them except the stock hondas that more mature people own will still be around.hondas build nice cars that get great gas mileage but there not meant to be race cars.

Back