Throttle Body Installation

littleboylan

Well I was going to install my new bbk edelbrock tb and I took the stock one off, I had gotten the first sensor thing off the one with 10mm bolts, and then I went to get the sensor thing off that has the phillips head screws in it, and the screws wont come out, the more I turn it seems like the harder it gets, all its about to do is strip the heads, so I guess my question is how to get this off, or easier yet does anyone have a spare sensor/plug that I could buy? THanks MIke

I had the same problem...i just drilled of the heads of the screws and it slid right off then bought some new ones.

Thanks

Hey you know that was what I was thinking, but then I thought about how I needed to drive my car in the mornin to work and decided not to do it, umm did oyu just go to a hardware store, or did you go to the STEALership? thanks again for the input Mike

I just used a small hacksaw blade to deepen one of the phillips slots and then used a regular screw driver. When you reinstall it you'd be wise to elongate (ovalize) the brass sleeves those 2 screws go thru so you can rotate the TPS a little. The BBK throttle bodies are prone to need a little TPS voltage adjustment after you install them (see the article on the TCCOA for simple instructions on using a voltmeter and rotating the sensor to get the correct setting). Also you'll need to port the existing plenum a little to get a good smooth match/transition with the new bigger TB. You can use the gasket as a template to mark the plenum about 1/8" bigger all round and, then grind or file the alum plenum housing about 30 deg. Just remember to put an old rag down the plenum as the alum shavings go everywhere.

adjusting the throttle body

Well I got it all installed and am experiencing a little bit of a high rev like it will eventually go down to about 900 rpm but if im driving along and then stop it drops to like 14oo then it will slowly, very slowly, go down from there, I put a voltmeter on it and it is at .15volts I think its suppose to be at .09 from what this guy was telling me, so Im thinking I need to adjust it a lil, how do I go about doing this, just open the brass sleeves up a little bit? Any help? THanks Mike

With the TCCOA article in hand, you need to elongate the holes in those brass sleeves. Don't make the diameter bigger, try to make then slotted with either a small jewelers file or a drill bit. Then you simply rotate the sensor body until you get below 1.0v. After that, make sure your idle bypass screw (on top of the throttle body) is fully seated; then you can play a little with the idle stop screw on the side where the cable hooks up.
Good luck

Back