Motor mounts? Whats the easy way?

gunman_sr5

I will be puting a new set of motor mounts in my 90 next weekend. I will also bo the PS pump at the same time. Whats the easiest way to do the mounts?

"easy" and "supercoupe" don't go in the same sentence :) :p

do a quick search on "motor mounts" without the wuotes and youll find a thread similair to this one. I shows the easiest ways. I bleeive there are a few different.

SC UL8R1990 said:
"easy" and "supercoupe" don't go in the same sentence :) :p

do a quick search on "motor mounts" without the wuotes and youll find a thread similair to this one. I shows the easiest ways. I bleeive there are a few different.

Thanks. I keep forgeting about the search option.

not a problem, i wasnt trying to be a jerk :) But if you cant find it in a search or your still not sure......make a thread! :)

i ask dumb questions too ;)
just remember....there arent any stupid questions.......

just stupid people :D j/k

I thought they where easy.

This is how I did it:

First, I drained the radiator, and romoved the radiaotr, and, the upper hose. Be sure to disconnect the fan on the rad.

Then, I took off all the belts.

I then removed the complete front dress, alt, dis pack, both intercooler lines, I took the top of the sc off with the top line. There is a bolt that holds the upper line by the power steering. 15mm for that, I just broke it loose and then did ti by hand the rest of the way. You will have to wrestle with the ic lines to get them out.

Then, just drop the front bracket on the drivers side, and let it rest there. There is a bold below the power steering for the lower IC line.

Someone b4 me removed the ic lines, and, there was not a bolt on the bottom line.

I then jacked up the motor with a 4x6 under the oil pan that was about 1 foot long. I took the driers side tire off to get some clearance for a bold on the back. 13mm will be your friend around these parts, I used a 6 point socket and a breaker bar to break loose the bolts.

I pulled out the old mount, and, I noticed there was a small rubber thing on the 1 bracket to stop metal on metal contact, I put an old hose over it, and replaced the mounts with solid rubber. I suggest an impact wrench to remove the old mount from the braket.

The pass side sucked ***, there is less room over there, I took the front dress off that side and just let it lay, and got the old mount off, I thought the pass side was much worse, I needed about 15" of extentions to get the bolt on the block. I used a flex joint and some elec tape to get to that one.

I also did plugs, wires, cleaned the ic lines, and ic, did crossmember bushings, tranny mount, and rear differintail mounts.

I got most of my ideas from the thread created by digital chaos. I spent liottle time on my back, most was done from the top, with the bs-ing I did and run to the parts store for coolan and a hose clamp, it took about 12 hours, it was pretty easy, and, I would do it again. It was not as bad(i feel) as everyone makes it out to be.

I took my sweet time and was in no hurry. I also had some beer while I did it, and stopped, stepped back, and made sure things looked right.

After I did all that, and resealed the super charger top, and IC lines, I noticed that my boost guage went from 9 when I got on it, to about 12ish, and the car ran a lot better.

Also, take off the cowl in front of the windshield, I really went to town when I jacked up the motor

At first, when I lifted up the motor, b4 I took anything out, you could get the motor to almost hit each fender. I have the old mounts, the pass side was worse then the drivers side, the pass side was in 3 pieces, and missing the mesh in the bottom part of it, the drivers side, was, all still there, minus an inch in hieght.

Now, my motor sits really friggin' high.

Tomarrow or sat, I will be replacing the crank sensor, I should have done that while I was that far into it last time.

If your in MN, stop by and I can lend a hand and have the tools all right here to do it. Just bring the beer :D

...this isn't really a parking lot job,I'm out of town this wkend.. if you want to wait I'll see if I can find the time to help.I have ramps,air compressor and all the necessary tools plus a driveway.....it's up to you.Be sure to get the solid replacement mounts or you'll probably be doing them again fairly soon and this a job that you don't want to have to repeat too often.....like hg's,not hard but time consuming and sometimes frustrating.
z

Cool I will have to get ahold of you then to make plans. I have to gat all of the parts still. So we have some time. The big problem is. The accesory belt is off since the PS pump locked up. So I will have to leap frog the car over to keep it cool.

Back