Another reason why political discussion is a bad idea HERE

Duffy Floyd

SCCoA Lifetime Member
Recently I closed a thread concerning mainly political and religious discussions. Some of you may not have reacted well to it. However...here is the "Rest of the Story".

We are presently working on Articles of Incorporation for the SCCoA so it can be recognized as a not for profit Corporation in OH as well as setting things up for IRS 501(C)(3) qualification in the future if that decision can be justified because of the expense of following all the required rules (filing of financial reports and such).

In order to comply with all the regulations imposed the SCCoA can not be involved in things that could be construed as an attempt to influence legilation NOR participate in, or intervene in (including the publication or distribution of statements) any political campaign on the behalf of any candidate for public office.

Since the BBS is maintained and paid for by the SCCoA if statements are published for public viewing supporting or opposing specific candidates or political parties we could be seen as violating the intent of these IRS Regulations and this could affect the not for profit status of the SCCoA.

I asked nicely and some did not take the hint. Now you have the rest of the story.

Hey Duffy...I see your point but don't get too worried...

There is free speech and an exchange of viewpoints doesn't mean "SCCOA is taking an ACTIVE part in any political party".

The ACTIVE part is important.
I work at an Army Base...and we have had all sorts of flaming discussions back and forth about the war....
Management has sent out all sorts of warnings to stop it...but there's really nothing they can do about it.
Recently our #2 guy at the base sent out a brutally political statement...in it bashing Moore's movie....etc etc....

There were many that wanted to get him on violation of the Hatch Act.

Now one thing in the Fed Gov is they are really hair trigger about "abuse of gov equipment"....but they couldn't do anything to this guy....

He was only expressing an opinion...and he has no real active political involvement.

Let's not get too uptight about "not being able to express opinions"....at least now and then. Strict gag orders really make no sense...and really have nothing to do with any such "laws" ....which would have to show some paper trail to money which has some political connection to it.

What I've found here is there are a bunch of really smart people....and I've actually gotten better give and take here than in most forums.

Perhaps you could suggest that when something does seem to go perhaps "off topic" that people try to take the discussion to its grizzly details in private email. In other words...."take it outside". This makes sense in general for preserving your harddisk space.

But the day that we have a "threshold of pain" where one could go in and make some interpretation of a discussion....and in that specific interpretation deem that there is some coersive political element....

Brother .....we're in sorry shape at that point.

Hey if Joe Kennedy, former congressman up here in Massachusetts can collect $600,000 a year(also while he was in office) to run his photo-op, I mean non-profit company "citizens oil", this better be ok with the government. I think this is much less blatant than that. got 98 cents for a buck?

I agree with what was said above. But if you dont want any worrys, Pull what "stangnet" did, and put it in a subforum. At the top of that, Clearly state that this site does not Blah, Blah, Blah......You get the idea. :D

SC in OH

(Admin Edit: This is a serious post, there are plenty of other forums for you to ask your unrelated questions.)

I hope this is ok?

How about this: www.thenoflamezone.net

When you want (or need) to get political ... it is the place to go. Great political discussion with demeanor yet the ability to say what you want!

disscussions

You know ,we have the right to voice our opinion. It is given to us by our Constitution ....HEY POLITICAL CORRECTNESS POLICE, get over it!

Some of the people that inhabit this country should read that wonderful document sometime...Its the LAW not a "living,breathing, document"

God ,Guns, and Moms 4-ever

Last edited:
This is also a privately owned club and the right to post here is actually a privilege and not a "right". Being new here, I am quite sure you don't know all the reasons the club prefers not to engage in political or religious discussions, but if you stick around you will find that we are Supercoupe enthusiasts first and foremost and we prefer to stay (mostly) on that topic.

This group represents a wide variety of individuals from the extreme ends of the social and political spectrum. We like it that way and we strive to get along for the purpose of being able to appreciate our cars in peace and without prejudice. "Discussion" topics such as politics and religion clearly do not contribute to that end and therefore are mostly avoided here.

Peace. :)

discussions

Point taken, but alot of people should know what or why America is what it is My posting was not a shot at the club, but to people who engage mouth before thinking.

LONG LIVE THE SUPERCOUPE

PEACE :)

People don't come here to discuss religion or share views on their political beliefs, they come here to talk about suprecoupes. No one is saying that political and religious discussions are wrong just not right for this club.

Two quick examples of the kind of trouble that can be caused by not following the IRS rules concerning Not for Profit Corporations.

1) NAACP is being investigated right now by the IRS for delving into political speech and actions and may lose their not for profit status as a result.

2) Complaints have been filed with the IRS concerning certain churches where the minister/pastor/priest/rabbi has preached about political topics in support of one political party or canidate.

Just as an update, the Not for Profit paperwork for the SCCoA was filed in the State of OH on November 23, 2004.

XR7 Dave said:
This is also a privately owned club and the right to post here is actually a privilege and not a "right". Being new here, I am quite sure you don't know all the reasons the club prefers not to engage in political or religious discussions, but if you stick around you will find that we are Supercoupe enthusiasts first and foremost and we prefer to stay (mostly) on that topic.

This group represents a wide variety of individuals from the extreme ends of the social and political spectrum. We like it that way and we strive to get along for the purpose of being able to appreciate our cars in peace and without prejudice. "Discussion" topics such as politics and religion clearly do not contribute to that end and therefore are mostly avoided here.

Peace. :)
Very well stated this is simple every one please adhire to what brought you here . It was a sweet lil car from Ford not your view of the Powers that be
Peace :)

here for the sc

honestly, IMO
this is a site for SCs and their owners.
all the info non tech and tech.
This is a great site and club.
Alot of good people through the years i've been here and posted.
Screw politics, and all that B.S.
We are all here for one reason and thats keeping these birds alive and making them faster!
Just my .02

Politics.... here?

I agree with the above. Although both Blowers and Politicians are full of a lot of hot air, they have little else in common. One makes seat-of-your-pants horsepower! The other makes popular promises that they already know that they can't keep. Myself, I prefer the former. And I still haven't seen God when the needle swings past 130....I'm too busy watching out for ignorant traffic!
This site is about one Ford Thunderbird (& Mercury Cougar) special purpose, limited production vehicle, and nothing else....and Thats why I Love It!!!

My old clubsite had a seperate forum just for those topics to keep them out of the mix with everything else. But overall I also think they are a bad idea. When you start getting away from the main purpose of your site things get way out of control.

Sorry gang...

I disagree about not discussing religion here.

Cars ARE religion, are they not? At least, around here they are. We meet in the church of oily garage, and have some very serious and sometimes loud, religious discussions with various parts of the car when we bang our head or scrape a knuckle or two.

And, then, that carries outside the church, during the week when we buy parts and the wife then invokes religion when she hears how much was spent.

No..Duffy...I think religion SHOULD be spoken here..... :) :) :)

MC
2004 Black Thunderbird
1992 Red Thunderbird SC
1971 Blue Thunderbird Landau Coupe
1965 White Thunderbird
1965 Black Falcon Sprint, Pro Street
1960 Green Sunbeam Alpine
1959 Blue Chevrolet Impala (Wife's car!!)

Oh...contrary to what it says above, I am not an SC newbie...I bought mine new in 1992. So there!

Last edited:
Jake said:
People don't come here to discuss religion or share views on their political beliefs, they come here to talk about suprecoupes. No one is saying that political and religious discussions are wrong just not right for this club.

Maybe you don't. Myself, I think of sccoa.com as a place where SC lovers congregate and in the appropriate forums discuss whatever interests they have in common. There is plenty talked about here besides SC's, the important thing is that the SC is what we have in common.
Also indirectly government DOES affect the future of the SC in that They can outlaw and tax many things relevant to the SC and the lives of the owners of the SC. Someone else got it right, there should be a forum for 'govt, religion, contravercial' if I was running things. Of course it is the perrogative of the owners of the site, but hey people should have freedom of speech within the proper forums if it were up to me.

Back