Engine Question

autowriteradam

Yesterday I started to change the crankshaft sensor and got to the harmonic balancer to pull it off. Before I attached the puller, I grabbed on to it with my hands and wiggled it to see how hard it was going to be and to my surprise, the outter metal ring that is connected by the rubber ring had a small amount of play in it. This is not right, correct? This means the harmonic balancer is shot, and that is probably why my crank sensor went out as well, correct?

Now for the question. I already have a brand new crank sensor w/plugs and now I need to get a harmonic balancer. Is it worth the risk to buy a used one? I priced them at a local ford dealer at $385 (ouch). If I go new, should I stick with the FORD brand? or are there other manufacturers out there who offer better balancers for these motors?

We have a junkyard searching for one right now, but I'm not too crazy about chancing it on a used on.

Is there anything else besides the belts and oil that I should think about changing while I'm wrenching on the front of the engine?

Thanks for all of your help guys.
-Adam

Forget the first Question

I just read through a bunch of posts about this.

Where do I buy the ASP pulley or any other zero balanced pulley?

I found the BHJ Dampener at SCP.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Adam

Back