Help! Alternator problem?

JROD

I have a 94 SC and my battery was replaced 3 days ago, and in the process the wrong terminals touched for a few seconds.....and ever since chaos has followed. The only fuse that blew (that I could tell) was my Pusher Fan fuse. I replaced that, but still my charge warning light stays on. Yesterday on a short drive things got worse, my ABS light came on, my radio shut off and eventually I couldnt get it started. Today I put in a new alternator from Autozone and after charging the battery got it started but still my charge and ABS warning lights are on and after turning the car off it wouldnt start again (and the "pusher fan" fuse is blown again). Any help would be greatly appreciated, but most specifically what is the "pusher fan"? Could the "Mega fuse" be blown? If so, how do I tell? Was the problem even the alternator or is there something else that could be fried, blown, broken or demon possessed? What the hell is happening? Someone please help ASAP!

Actually, if I were you, I'd start pulling fuses out until the barest set is left. Start by getting a fuse diagram and look under the dash and pull all non-essential fuses. What you'll need to keep are the EEC power, and anything related to fuel. Pop out any relays in the box behind the battery which aren't essential to the running of the car; for example headlights, brakes, ride control (ARC), etc. Then try to start the car. Then reverse the process.. start plugging fuses and relays back in until something gets wierd again. When that happens, take that circuit back out and continue until you have the problem area(s) isolated. Then you can start looking for the problem. There are some fusible links, one of which protects the alternator, and another protects the ABS motor which may be part of the problem. Unfortunately, this won't be simple to fix without a wiring diagram. The fusible links are usually in the bundle of wires which are in front of the windshield washer reservoir and below the starter relay.

You may have fried the fusable links on the wire that goes from the alternator to the starter relay. This happend to me. The light stayed on and everything. That and I also fried the alternator also in the process.

Shane

Back