MagnaPort I

Toms-SC

Hey,

I wasted an hour of my life doing a search for this and have come up with very little information. I am curious as to how many people have done this modification (NOT THE MAGNAPORT II)? Has there been any problems at all? I'm getting ready to box mine up and ship it out. Thanks for your time and any comments you can provide. :D

If you have the MP plenum, then get the Magnaport. Otherwise just have them do an S-Port and save some money.

DamonSlowpokeBaumann said:
I'm unsure if they do that anymore..Yall nee dto probably go elsewhere
:confused: Umm...anyways...

I don't have the MagnumPowers Inlet Plenum but I am going for the port anyways. If the blower is apart once do it right. I understand I wont be getting maxium gains out of the port due to limited air flow.

The MPI has the same outlet as the MPII, the difference is the inlet side. So basically you will see much lower outlet temps but not a lot more flow. It is not an S-port although the amount of porting on the inlet side is very similar (albiet it is done using the early style oval port).

Performance gains will vary. My guess is you should plan on overdriving that blower as much as possible to try to draw some air through the stock inlet. Just my guess.

The main problem with the M-90 is the inlet side of the blower,as stated before.Opening the outlet wil help some but the flow problems are still there.Overdriving the blower is only going to make things worse since you are still sucking thru a straw.This will only make all your other intake mods less effecient as well.Maybe you should just try and find a late style blower to use instead,T-Bird 88 offered a late style mod for the inlet elbow.The late style has a titanium shaft for less moving mass as well as a modified case inlet.Something to think about! ;)

The late style has a titanium shaft for less moving mass as well as a modified case inlet.
Says who? ESM made few titanium shafts but I don't think Ford would have allowed Eaton to spend that kind of money on a blower for a Tbird! lol

The reason I suggested more OD is that the MPI doesn't generate any more boost than stock due to the inlet not really allowing much more air in. However with the much improved outlet and much lower ACT's you can safely run more boost/OD.

The Smodel has coated rotors which generate more boost with less OD. For example my Smodel generates 15psi on my highly modified XR7 but the MPI only gets about 10psi on a mildly modded motor.

My guess is that part of this is due to the fact that the uncoated rotors don't seal as well and the rest has to do with getting air into the blower.

I still say the MPI should be overdriven at least 10% and will work well overdriven as much as 15%.

92strokedbird said:
The main problem with the M-90 is the inlet side of the blower,as stated before.Opening the outlet wil help some but the flow problems are still there.Overdriving the blower is only going to make things worse since you are still sucking thru a straw.This will only make all your other intake mods less effecient as well.Maybe you should just try and find a late style blower to use instead,T-Bird 88 offered a late style mod for the inlet elbow.The late style has a titanium shaft for less moving mass as well as a modified case inlet.Something to think about! ;)

Wynn actually made a early to late adapter plenum. It was an early model inlet made to fit the late model blower, basically it was cut up and he fabbed a inlet to a late model blower (one I had around), and welded it together. It was purty.

Jeff

This is going on a newer style blower. Dave, could you take a peak at my members page and maybe suggest what I should do next after the MagnaPort 1? please :D

Dave when you talk about the inlet size Warner gave me the following numbers.
'The MagnaPortI's intake port is .250" wider and .245" taller then the stock size'

He still does Magnaport 1 port jobs?..I didnt even know..If you have a late model blower I think youd get more gains from getting the MP inlet then the port job.,,Although I personally didnt notice anything from just the inlet mod....

"purty" this!

J57ltr said:
Wynn actually made a early to late adapter plenum. It was an early model inlet made to fit the late model blower, basically it was cut up and he fabbed a inlet to a late model blower (one I had around), and welded it together. It was purty.

Jeff
I gotcha "purty" raht heyah...

8993scport5946.jpg

'bird

Before I did heads and cam on my 95 SC I could peg the boost gauge very easily. This was with a stock long block and many basic bolt on's including an SVO 5% overdrive pulley. After I did the heads and cam 14psi was about max boost I ever saw. Then recently I but a Magnum Powers inlet plenum and Magnaport 1 blower on along with a 75MM throttle body. Boost went from a max of 14psi to pegging the boost gauge with ease again. :)

Tom, have you done your exhaust mods yet?

I did not realize this was a 95 blower. I dont' think you'll benefit much from overdriving it more than to use an 89 pulley on it.

It's kind of a losing battle without head porting and a cam. At 14-16psi you are creating too much heat especially with the stock IC. The MPI will reduce outlet temperatures some but you are still boost limited. I think my next mod would be intercooler. After that it is time to get into the heads and cam area.

In the mean time keep your boost at no more that 14psi. More boost may give better numbers on the dyno but higher boost than that will cause detonation and loss of HP at the track or on the street, particularily if you get into a pissing match on the highway with someone or try some back to back street racing.

Yah I think 17psi is about as high as you want to go..I was getting 21 out of my ESM DIII however all my timing was being pulled....I was wondering why I wasnt detonating bahahaha..Soo yah the MPinlet would be a better mod then porting in my opinion....However I had bought my inlet first and didnt really notice a difference till my blower was ported...Could be in my head though..But the butt dyno is pretty good

DamonSlowpokeBaumann said:
Yah I think 17psi is about as high as you want to go..I was getting 21 out of my ESM DIII however all my timing was being pulled....I was wondering why I wasnt detonating bahahaha..Soo yah the MPinlet would be a better mod then porting in my opinion....However I had bought my inlet first and didnt really notice a difference till my blower was ported...Could be in my head though..But the butt dyno is pretty good

I've seen numerous SC's with the MP plenum make really low HP. If you can't flow the air then it just doesn't help. Damon, you were detonating, just because you didn't hear it doesn't mean it wasn't happening. At 21psi even with retarded timing my car made some serious HP (enough for easy 13's) and it was detonating as well. The car now makes just as much HP at 15-17 psi as it did at 18-21psi and it runs a lot smoother.

But then my butt dyno sucks bad.

No exhaust mods done yet Dave. All these parts are, or will be sitting in my basement until the next summer season. Being in Canada, that is atleast 8 months away. :eek:

So you confused me, MP Inlet does not yeild that much of a gain without a ported blower? Being at a high elevation I will not over drive my blower over 5% if that.

Toms-SC said:
No exhaust mods done yet Dave. All these parts are, or will be sitting in my basement until the next summer season. Being in Canada, that is atleast 8 months away. :eek:

So you confused me, MP Inlet does not yeild that much of a gain without a ported blower? Being at a high elevation I will not over drive my blower over 5% if that.

The only benefit of the MP inlet is that it flows more air. It is not a magic HP piece. If you do not have the need for more air, it won't help you much if any. Once you start to exceed the flow capacity of the stock plenum then larger gains are to be seen (in certain circumstances, NOT ALL!). The reason people get more boost from a MP plenum is that when the SC starts to move more air than the inlet can provide, a vacuum is created at the inlet of the blower and boost(airflow) per revolution starts to drop. On a stockish motor overdriving the blower will achieve the same basic result as adding an MP inlet. Once you have achieved about 15-16 psi, there really isn't any more to be had (at least reliably) from a stock motor because of the heat generated in doing so. Heat is always your enemy and there is no way around it. You have to eliminate it.

So what you do is a juggling act. What does it take, on your car, to achieve 16psi? If you are doing it already with your stock blower, then you need to look at ways to drop boost and/or reduce outlet temps or any more boost/ariflow is going to be a waste of time and money.

You could have the blower ported now, because doing so will reduce outlet temps, but you have to be careful not to exceed 16psi. So you may have to reduce the drive ratio on the new blower. There are some reductions in parasitic loss to be had from spinning the blower slower, but they are minimal. Certainly not worth the cost of a ported blower at this point. If you are just planning for the future, then that is fine, but don't expect a ported blower and 18psi to be a good thing at this point.

I would install the exhaust and upgrade the IC first. Then see where your boost falls to. It may drop to 13psi. Then you can look logically at what to do next. I would get the MP inlet because that will bring your boost back up to 15 and you will be in good shape until you port the heads and add a cam. Then the boost will drop down to 13psi again and you can then add the ported blower and pick up the OD ratio to get you back to 16psi again.

This is the safe and logical way to do it.

Being at high elevation allows you to run more OD to achieve the same boost as us guys at lower elevations. In Alberta I lose at least 1-2psi boost on my car. Keep in mind though that your IC is less effective so that becomes an even more critical area to upgrade.

David

Dave,

I would say I was detonating however when I say my plugs came out perfect..They were perfect..Not a sign of detonation.

My longblock was completely stock with all of the boltons imaginable...I did notice part throttle responce was great...Full thrittle..Ehh..leads me to believe that whole timing thing..Also my old head gaskets came out fine with just a bit of ring warpage on one cylinder (which one I forgot)..Anyway with my one legger it was hard to get a decent time haha

Back