Turbo and EEC

blksc

Hey about to start the work on the twin turbo SC. Wanted to know if the stock EEC could handle the job. I read posts saying that a stand alone managment system would be needed, but didnt understand why if the stock sensors were left on. I do think an EEC Tuner would be needed though..

* i have just received my two .60 trim t3/t4 turbos :)

The stock computer will do fine. There is no reason to go with an aftermarket system until you exceed the output capability of 60lb injectors (the largest high impedence injectors) which I think is about 500rwhp or more.

Thank you Dave. Do you think moving the MAF closer to the throttle body will throw off the computer ? Im looking to locate one turbo in(near) the stock Airbox, and the other in the battery location.

Good luck getting the stock EEC to run well with a Turbo..If your going to try it you should at least use a blow through type MAF. Pro M makes em. And Definately get a WIdeband so you know where your at A/F wise..turboes cause nice melt downs when a cars not properly tuned

Well, of course the system will need tuning but there is no reason that the stock system can't accomodate just about any turbo system you can come up with.

As for the MAF location, it should not be closer to the TB. If you blow through the MAF the computer will have to be tuned to compensate for the pressurized airflow. The stock MAF can be used. I assume you are going to use an IC and in that case the two turbos will usually blow into a common IC which will have one outlet. The MAF goes on a straight piece of pipe between the IC and the TB.

Remember, to do this requires some advanced use of some EEC tuning software.

To make it work without any tuning aids you will need to draw all your air through an MAF (make it a big one! lol).

Pro M makes mass airs for blow through applications without further tuning needed. If you keep it a draw through ( A pain with twin turboes) it will be a huge restriction.

Now I'm still waiting for someone to prove just how well a stock SC EEC will handle a high boost turbo setup :O)

WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!

Well, since SC's don't have timing adjustments and fuel pressure adjustments are said to be futile on these motors, we can't tune like the 5.0 guys do so I would be pretty leary of a blow through MAF without any tuning. ;)

XR7 Dave said:
Well, since SC's don't have timing adjustments and fuel pressure adjustments are said to be futile on these motors, we can't tune like the 5.0 guys do so I would be pretty leary of a blow through MAF without any tuning. ;)

what about a single turbo draw thru the maf?

pro-m's blow thru "univer" is a big joke. Even one of their own employees told me they didn't work well when I called for support once. In general, blow thru MAFs are very sensative and often require transfer function calibration. I've done several dozen, but let me tell you... the first one that I tuned took 28 dyno pulls, and even with the experience I have now they still can take 8-10 dyno pulls. Plus blowing thru usually shortens the range of the stock MAF.

On a draw thru setup, expect the stock MAF to last for about 280RWHP. A 90MM lightning MAF will last to about 400RWHP, and past that you will need a custom calibrated meter. From my own data and experiences, expect that range to decrease by about 10% in blow-thru applications.

so yes, draw thru would be best. But if you can't do draw thru don't sweat it, just don't put any bends infront of the MAF or things that would cause turbulance. The EEC will do just fine, but you will probably need a custom tune. I've used the ford EEC to support applications of around 1000HP (with 72lb injectors and injector drivers), so it's fully capable. But you need the fuel system and the right setup if you want it to run to it's full potential.

Ultimatly, I Think if your turbo kit makes any real power you will have to do some EEC tuning. It's not a big deal though, and much cheaper than FAST.

Brian

The stock MAF wouldn't physically allow enough air to flow through it for what a twin turbo system could draw, and the electronics would not be able to deal with the range of flow.

Before you hit the max air through it, the electronics would max out their range of measurement. Thus the need of a MAF that is designed for a larger range of airflow.

Brian would definately know better then I on that...However I havnt personally seen any high HP turbo cars running a draw through MAF setup. I'll personally admit My Turbo car would just shut down at around 4,000rpm's when I tried running a Mass Air meter. I gave up and went with DFI. Then again they didnt have all the wonderful tuning tools they do now. I had experience fiddling with a few incon twin turbo kits for 5.0's and utilized a blow through PRO M on all of em (not the universe it was a bullet type) Got the cars running fine through the full RPM range however none of them were high HP cars. Maybe 450rwhp max. I think its safe to say though you wll need some kind of tuning aid. And the meter manufacturers make some huge meters nowadays to cater to certain classes of racing. Only thing I hear bad about those are the low air flow readings..Then again Brian would probably be able to chime inonthat as well being hes tuned cars with low impedence injectors and most liekly larg emass airs.

thank you for the explanation. I do plan on turning the eec maps to correctly handle the setup. NOt sure if the EEC Tuner will work or if i'll just need to pay someone to dyno tune the car. I would imagine the fule system for the car is gonna be huge. 50lbs injectors and one whomping fuel pump

I was thinkin about putting a turbo on do you think a Pro-M 87MM draw thru maf would work? I was thinkin put it where the stock air box is and just put the meter on the inlet of the turbo or maybe an inch or two of pipe and the filter on the end of the MAF.

Best bet I think is to talk to the Meter manufacturer themselves. Im sure it this case the largest meter you could run with good drivability would be the one to go for

Back