Head Gaskets?

Rooster Booster

I was just curious when does a normally driven sc blow the head gaskets? I know it variys but I was just curious at about what mileage I should have new ones installed. My Super coupe has 72xxx on it so I was just curious.
Thanks
Mike

head gaskets

If you spend a lot of time behind the wheel and have not done the exhaust I would say between 100,000 and 120,000. Mine lasted about 110,000. But you could get a lot more or you could have them go in a week.

Rooster Booster said:
I was just curious when does a normally driven sc blow the head gaskets? I know it variys but I was just curious at about what mileage I should have new ones installed. My Super coupe has 72xxx on it so I was just curious.
Thanks
Mike

Mine blew out at 130,000.

Have a good SC mechanic do the rebuild. I took mine to a shop that did a great job on my 73 AMX, but took forever on my SC and I ended up with more problems than it had going in.

Spencer

230,000 in a white '90 Auto. Didn't blow. We changed them as part of a maintenance project to replace in intake and the SC snout seal. However, when we had the original head gaskets out, you could tell that two cylinders on the driver's side were just starting to flake apart. Just goes to show that it all depends on the car and the driver.

This car spent most of it's time going back and forth to Arizona.

btw, with new head gaskets, engine mounts, and hand-lapped valves, it's running strong again. Now who doesn't just love the SC?

Back