Auto zone parts too inexpensive?

sledgehammer

I went to this page:

http://www1.autozone.com/servlet/Ui...LAR+PARTS+LOOK+UP|~CRANKSHAFT+POSITION+SENSOR

And saw the price of the crankshaft sensor and the camshaft sensor. These two parts were going to cost me around $200 at the dealer, and at Autozone, I can get the pair for $50.

While I am understanding that the dealer charges more for some stupid reason, this almost seems too good to be true.

Anyone have any experience with the Autozone parts?

Spencer

no man, thats right good prices man, KRAGEN wants about 50 percent more than what autozone asks for. Check it out, KRAGEN wants 30 bucks for the ECT sensor, while AUTOZONE is asking for 17.99. Seems to me i will go with AUTOZONE better. Kragen is expensive and so are the dealers.

Autozone is cheap which is good. Some aftermarket sensors are junk, which is bad. For reliable quality I use only OE Ford sensors. A few extra bucks now can save a lot of headache later. Just my $.02.

XR7 Dave said:
Autozone is cheap which is good. Some aftermarket sensors are junk, which is bad. For reliable quality I use only OE Ford sensors. A few extra bucks now can save a lot of headache later. Just my $.02.

I hear ya, Dave. Quality in = quality out, but being in a bind financially a bit, I don't know if paying 300 % more for the parts is worth it. True, if one fails, that means replacing the part again, but at these prices, I can afford to replace them four times.

Now if I just knew how to do it. (^#$^%$#^ chilton guide!)

Off to get a Haynes manual.

Spencer.

sledgehammer said:
I hear ya, Dave. Quality in = quality out, but being in a bind financially a bit, I don't know if paying 300 % more for the parts is worth it. True, if one fails, that means replacing the part again, but at these prices, I can afford to replace them four times.

Now if I just knew how to do it. (^#$^%$#^ chilton guide!)

Off to get a Haynes manual.

Spencer.
yeah its pretty fun having to replace it again when its raining youre in the middle of nowhere and the cheap crank sensor decides to go south, but hey you saved some money!

Make sure you check out Ford Dealers associated with the SCCoA and the TCCoA. You can get good discounts on Ford OEM parts via them.

www.RockAuto.com is also a good place to check. They often have OEM branded parts at good discounts.

The MotorCraft Camshaft sensor for my 1993 from RockAuto.com is $33.79
The MotorCraft Crankshaft Sensor is $64.99

Add Freight and it's still a discount from what your local Ford Dealer was trying to pull.

Detail.html

turbospeed said:
yeah its pretty fun having to replace it again when its raining youre in the middle of nowhere and the cheap crank sensor decides to go south, but hey you saved some money!

Well, right now the factory failed crank sensor and/or cam sensor is causing me major grief, but the car still gets home.

Besides, I live in SoCal, and it never rains here. So I would be stuck in the middle of the desert in the blazing heat with a bad sensor, and I like the desert. :)

Spencer

and I like the desert.
You sir are a sick individual. When you get the car sorted out (or if you need a hand doing so) be sure to stop by the SoCal board and coordinate with us to attend some events.

Paul

i check prices and usually go to kragen ... kragen is the only one that will beat there competitor by 5% on same quality parts .... autozone and pep boys will meet there competitors price on same quility parts

Often, I have oftens seen AutoZone sells Wells brand sensors which are actually Ford Motorcraft in a Wells box. Just a little FYI for those looking to save money and get a decent product.

Paul

Right you are Paul. However Borge& Warner are the makers of Ford and Motorcraft sensors,plug wires and etc.
Now you know the rest of the story. ;)

Mike, I don't doubt that, however I will note that the DIS module is manufactured by Standard Ignition for Ford and all other companys that offer it.

Paul

Yes Paul you are correct!!!!
What most people really dont understand is that the car co.'s do not make all those parts that they sell or use in building there cars. They actualy make less of there own parts now then they did when the SC's were being built.
Ford is the king of outsourceing. ;)

I also wonder how many Ford parts have been pirated by aftermarket companies. At BBC we used to get wire harness adapters that had Ford part numbers on them. They clearly were not OE Ford parts. I suspect the same thing happens in other areas.

Don't think because you by OEM your getting a better product, My company services a Commercial Fleet of mid duty vehicles. We always used motocraft starter relays with no problem. We started having relay failures and not just a few, about 50% of the new relays were failing within two weeks! We discovered the "New" relays were made in Korea and not Malaysia like the previous parts. We filed a complaint with Ford OEM parts division and after about a year the problem was solved no more Korean Starter Relays. Appearantly We weren't the only ones having this problem.

Oh yea, Until Ford got there act together we used Standard or Delco relays with no problems.

The IAC for an SC comes from the land of the rising sun, Japan.
Hitachi makes the IAC. Oh yeah and Mitsubishi makes the Alternator.

wow, with so many japanese parts its no wonder these car can take a beating! i wish GM made the car though, with japanese technology :)

I have a great connection with a local Ford dealership, that his prices beat Pep Boys, Napa, Advanced Auto, & etc. I use Ford parts, because of the problems that other manufacturers (ie. PCV valve). I know people on this board have had problems with sensors that were not Ford products. If you do a search you can find out which items you should purchase thru a Ford dealership and which you can use a discount auto part store.
Later
Ken

Back