Are NGK Iridium Spark plugs safe????

SC90_Pete

I keep hearing about double platinum and I'm starting to think I should have ordered those instead. Will I be ok with the iridiums from NGK and is anyone else running these plugs? Thanks in advance
-Pete

I've been running the NGKs now for well over a year and done all sorts of racing in that time frame. No problems to report.

Shane

Nope. That just means if you ever put an overdrive pulley on the SC you wont have the worry of blowing the flame out. Or another way to explain it is you can make more boost and it wont ping, provided that you have the nessesary parts to support the extra boost too.

Shane

Been using NGK TR55-IX for over a year, no problems. Although I suspect they won't last quite as long as double plats because they have a standard ground electrode. But they definitely give you room to dial in some extra timing advance before pinging versus double plats, I got a few degrees pretty much across the board.

I did have an NGK iridium fail on me at the start of the race season. The finger is gone, half of the insulator, and the tip melted back inside the plug but it didn't seem to damage anything in the engine as I'm still racing the car. I did remove my 'Jerry' chip just in case it caused it by either being too lean or too much timing. I replaced the one plug and all of the others appear to be Ok. It was possibly just a random failure. I've noticed now that Summit has a full range of Denso iridiums including some colder versions that should fit in our cars. I'm going to order a colder set and try them out.

Back