tranny problems

95scred

so i was driving my car today and i could smell oil, so i pulled in to the closest parking lot and sure enough, tranny fluid everywhere. i wasnt too far from my house i i called my buddy and had him bring me some so i could get home , but when i added it in and started teh car it was leaking faster then i put it in so i called a tow truck , does anyone have any idea what kind of a repair im looking at. the tranny has 10000 miles on it since the rebuild that the previous onwer had done. im sur eit could be any one of 100 things but im just trying to get come kind of a price range on what its going to cost me to get it back on the road

well i talked to the mechanic today and he said that if it is a seal he would recomend a rebuild. he said thats between 1500 and 1800, and he always replaces the tq converter. if i have to go with the rebuild should i just have it replaced with the stock one or one from the aftermarket and what should i do to improve the shifts, this would be the perfect time for that stuff. the car is still stock but i plan on doing most bolt ons and more down the line. any help would be great.

As was already mentioned, it's probably just a leak in one of the two lines that run from the transmission (passenger side) up to the cooler that's inside the lower radiator tank.

Or you may have hit something and punctured the pan. You should be able to jack it up and get a pretty good idea of where the leak is coming from.

David

you need to be more specific on where the leak is coming from- i'm currently trying to stop a slow leak from my tranny which i believe is coming from one of two sensors. Before you have your tranny 'rebuilt' again put your car up on stands, dump more fluid in and find out where the leak is coming from. I have a helms manual and I can tell you right now it's coming from one of like 8 places.

i never really got a chance to look and see where the fluid is coming from, but i can say when it went on my i tried to add more fluid and see if i mite be able to get it home, and nothing came out while the car was off but when i started it up the fluid came pouring out.

95scred said:
i never really got a chance to look and see where the fluid is coming from, but i can say when it went on my i tried to add more fluid and see if i mite be able to get it home, and nothing came out while the car was off but when i started it up the fluid came pouring out.

That's what would happen if one of the cooling lines were leaking.

David

Listen to dave. Trans rebuild $1700.00 or a 1 foot section of trans line with 2 clamps $3.00 on debit mastercard { priceless} :D

scbird1 said:
Listen to dave. Trans rebuild $1700.00 or a 1 foot section of trans line with 2 clamps $3.00 on debit mastercard { priceless} :D
i can't agree more- or wosrse comes to worse you might need a new pan, gaskets or a couple seals. All much cheaper than a 1700 rebuild. While I'm on my soapbox... 1700 for a rebuild? you could buy a built tranny from a vendor for 1700. I need to be a mechanic.

im praying for it just to be a line it was tuff cuz it was raining and i had to get it towed, it was just easier to tow it to the shop since i didnt want to have to get it towed twice. but what are the chances i did any damga to the tranny when it was leaking ?

it depends on how far you drove it with little to no fluid; i personally dont think you did much damage. When i changed my tranny fluid two years ago (right before i had my tranny built) I dropped the pan to only find like 2-3 qts of fluid in there :eek: i had driven it like this for approximately a year.....hence why i needed my tranny rebuilt

Back