90 t-bird elec console fail at startup

A

ahnorton

I've got a 90 t-bird that has an electronic dashboard console display. Everytime I start it, the console won't boot unless I jiggle the key. I've replaced the ignition cylinder, but the problem persists. I looked into the place where the ignition cylinder goes and noticed that the copper bushing inside moved around a lot. I'm thinking that might be the problem? Any idea how to fix this problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
The cylinder moves a rod that is attached to the actual ignition switch that is located near the bottom of the steering column.

You might want to get down to the ignition switch and see what's up. Most likely some sort of ground issue.

Mike8675309 said:
The cylinder moves a rod that is attached to the actual ignition switch that is located near the bottom of the steering column.

You might want to get down to the ignition switch and see what's up. Most likely some sort of ground issue.

You're right on. Checked the ignition switch and one side had come loose. Works like a charm now. Thanks

Just FYI, this is a common problem on Fords from the Eighties and Nineties. The ignition switch comes apart and causes intermittent failure of various equipment. It is also a fire hazard for the same reason, as intermittent connections can create enough heat to result in a fire. Worse, it can happen at any time even with the switch in the off position. I don't personally know of any deaths because of this, but that doesn't mean there weren't any.

There was a recall of a few million Fords for the ignition switch a few years ago where the switch was replaced with an upgraded part. The recall has expired so you're SOL on that, but a Motorcraft replacement switch will be the upgraded part. I can't say with certainty that an aftermarket switch will be any different than the original switch.

Back