Engine revs when a/c is on...m.a.f.?

Jslobig

Could anyone tell me what may be the problem here: when i turn on the a/c, the engine revs high rpm, then low rpm, then high rpm, then low rpm. This continues until I turn off the a/c. Could it be the m.a.f. is screwed? Please help!!!!

It is your a/c compressor kicking on and off it probably does it when you have the defrost on to. When your A/C is running it drives the r.p.m. up because there is more of load on the engine because the compressor is clutched out and the engine has to turn it as well. Your a/c possibly has a low charge which is making it short cycle. I would go to wal-mart and buy a charge kit and add some refrigerant and it should stop doing it. Your MAF has nothing to do with it trust me.

I do trust you, and thanks for the advice. Next stop: Wal-Mart. I do in fact know that my refrigerant is low, since my a/c is blowing not as cold as it used to. I moved from Boston to Los Angeles last month, and I did the cross-country drive. The bird gave me not one single problem in 2700 miles. Time to give her some love and $ in upgrades. I sincerely appreciate your help. One other questions: How important to my cold air intake is having a dam to block engine compartment air from the cold air coming in from under the car? My K&N cone filter is not pointed down into the air box, but resting above the old air box hole. Thanks again!

Back