Mustang Manfolds vs. Stock

matt59

Whats the big deal with putting factory steel tubed Mustang manifolds on the Birds? The really look smaller than the cast manifold on the Stock SC's.
Is there any proof of benifits out there? Is it worth the PITA? :confused:

matt59 said:
Whats the big deal with putting factory steel tubed Mustang manifolds on the Birds? The really look smaller than the cast manifold on the Stock SC's.
Is there any proof of benifits out there? Is it worth the PITA? :confused:
The 99+ mustang manifolds are not any bigger than our stock manifolds, they just have better flow characteristics. The 94-98 Mustang manifolds are MUCH bigger and flow better than ours do stock. I've done both on 2 different SC's and I'd say if you really want to upgrade, go for the 94-98 style mustang manifolds. Dont forget the driver side needs to be modified. YOu can find a post in the members only section posted by me.

Thanks Jason,
Good information, Although I didn't see what adjustments were needed on the drivers side.

Matt59

matt59 said:
Thanks Jason,
Good information, Although I didn't see what adjustments were needed on the drivers side.

Matt59
if you mount up the header, the collector is right in the path of the steering shaft. You have to be a little creative to get the collector adjusted so that the steering shaft does not hit it.

You can also modifiy the steering shaft. This picture doesn't really help much if you don't have a stock shaft to look at, but the shaft has been cut and rewelded to clear the collector.
steering%20shaftmod.jpg

If you've already built your exhaust and you're just looking for a little more, then you'd be better off with ported SC manifold. But if you're planning on doing exhaust work and don't have the extra money for aftermarket headers, these will do the trick! Be sure to pick up some header wrap, because with these manifold you can easliy wrap up the primary's and keep your lower IC tube cooler.

Matt

I saw a post from someone that included pictures of actually re-routing the steering shaft. Using a couple universal joints and some shafts.

There are ways around anything.

Mike8675309 said:
I saw a post from someone that included pictures of actually re-routing the steering shaft. Using a couple universal joints and some shafts.

There are ways around anything.

Isn't there a company..... something like Flaming River, that makes steering stems for the SC? I think David N, and George D. run them....but they're pricey! They look good though. :)

headers

I bought a set of mac 94 or 95 headers (Apten website reccommended them) and after messing around with these...bending, reshaping, etc. I am about to give up (not enough clearance). I know that 99 and up have been used, but I don't feel comfortable with a 1/16" clearance from the steering shaft. I also bought a set of mustang stock headers. I don't know what year they are, but they do not appear to be stainless (the primaries are 1.45" od and the collector is 2.6" od ...could be worse). The stock SC headers are out of the question as far as I am concerned due to the fact that the collector od is about 2.2"...wuss!!! This header problem is delaying my engine install project and I am about to bite the bullet and get the Kooks shorty's...$500.00...ouch! (I have heard that there are fitment problems with those as well). How are people using the JBA headers?? They do not make these for our cars, so they must be using mustang style. Do these need to be modified as well? Because of the modifications and time that I have put into this project and because I am going to run a 10% od pulley, I do not want to make the wrong decision on this matter.

You might want to try and get in touch with Wynn at www.texasthunderbirds.com. At one time he was working on some custom headers for the SC that would fit. He's been busy so I'm not sure if he ever finished but it wouldn't hurt to give him a call and see where he's at.

Back