side molding & attachment clips

Digitalchaos

Just in front of the wheel wells & behind the door molding there are 2 short sections (1') of side molding on each side of our cars, held by three metal 'clips'.

On my car, the first two of these 3 clips have rusted away, on both sides! This has resulted in this short piece of trim pulling away from the body where it is no longer being held. I would like to repair this, and need more info about how these clips are attached and what can be done to replace them.

If you can help, its appreciated!

good question, I've been looking to remove the side moldings and touch them up.. I'm not exactly the best with paint, but every time i think about doing it, I'll fiddle with them for a few minutes, look it up in the haynes manual, get pissed because it just says "remove the side moldings" with no explanation on how to do it, then I'll move on to something else out of frustration.

They are attached with rivets through the body panels. You can drill them out and use self tapping machine screws to replace them, or if you can get to the other side (like on the front fender) you can use bolts with nuts.

On the bottom they are held in place with plastic body screws.

Back