Stock Valve Spring Replacement???

MikeKanterakis

SCCoA Member
Hey guys, I'm using a set of heads with 230,000 miles on them for my next headgasket job, and was wondering where to get replacement valve springs?

Do stock valve springs last much past 230,000?

I searched the past threads, but only came up with recomendations for people running different cams and different lift heights.

Any help would be appreciated. :cool:

I'd say change the seals and the springs locks and retainers..As for part numbers.....No idea what works with a stock SC head

Thanks, I didn't think about the retainers. Maybe I should just run them and see just how many miles I could get out of them.... then again.... the headgasket job isn't the best use of my time.

Ok, I found a supplier called SBI. I can get S.P. VS1568 which is supposed to be a stock replacement for our valve springs. Cost to me: $32.00 for 12.

Anyone ever try these or can anyone tell me if SBI makes a decent product? thanks.

http://www.sbintl.com

I have never heard of them. You should contact AERA since they are a member and see what kind of reference they give.

Paul

ok, we'll see what they come back with.

Has anyone ever had to replace a stock valve spring b/c it snapped/broke? If so, what was the mileage on the spring? Do they snap or break, or do they just soften with time?

Usually they lose their *springiness* and you get valve float..At over 200,000 its a good idea to change them along with locks retainers and valveseals...Nothing good ever comes from a retainer or lock failure...And valve float willcost you power

Oh crap, you mean dealing with SC's means dealing with high mileage parts. Oh crap, I don't want to play this game anymore. Please give me a new corvette God.

Just kidding...

Well, I was going to replace the valve stem seals b/c That's just what Fel-Pro lets me do ;) ( I love that kit )

No, seriously though, regarding the change in valve spring "springingnyness" I'm gonna test the two sets I've got now. And see which shows more strength. Hopefully the car with the higher mileage. However, It could be that overheats from blown HG's would be another factor in spring life? (cold engine less wear?)

Another question for ya, What's some of the lower readings people have taken regarding their "old" valve springs? Or am I the only freak that keeps data like that on my car?

:eek:

p.s. I heard that valve float was only a problem at Higher RPM's. Or is it that when the spring wears out, you're more likely to be at Higher RPM's even at stock opperating perameters.?

Last edited:
Valve spings, seats and seals

I am doing the heads during the gasket change. Do i need to replace all of this with only 120K on the car???????

MikeKanterakis said:
Oh, hey, the shootout thing, how much is that going to cost?

Ok, here's the reply I got from AERA regarding SBI:

Michael,
The company you have mentioned below has been a supporter and
member of the
AERA for 25 years or more. They've been supplying the
Aftermarket and OE for
most all of those years. You can feel good about using ther fine
products.

Dave Hagen

Back