Best place thru the firewall?

rock5

I'm in the middle of installing some kickass Cibie fog lamps/running lights to my '95 SC. Now I need to run the wire inside to the switch and have to get through the firewall. I don't see any obvious places to piggy back on anything else.

Can anyone recommend the easiest spot? Even if I have to run a little extra wire, I'd rather not drill through. If it matters, the wire will run along the center console once I'm through (though I haven't decided on a final place yet, so feel free to recommend that too!)

Thanks!

Under the drivers side dash there is a rubber boot that the shaft for the stering wheel goes thru. Just slice a tiny hole in it thats what i did for my system wires. Easiest sport and no drilling

Jay

ThunderCoupe94 said:
Under the drivers side dash there is a rubber boot that the shaft for the stering wheel goes thru. Just slice a tiny hole in it thats what i did for my system wires. Easiest sport and no drilling

Jay

Thanks! I poked through with a nail, followed it up with a small knife, then the wire went right through the boot. Just have to keep the wire away from the pedals ;)

You should not run any wires near the steering column at all period end of story, as in Absolutely Not. Any professionsal alarm or stereo installer will back this statement. Take the time to do it right and drill a small hole then put a gromett in that hole before sending the wire through. If you have discomfort in doing so, let a professional installer do it for you.

Paul

I agree with Paul. Running wires through the steering boot is the sloppy way. This is how I run wires from the engine compartment to the interior of the MN12's that I put together:

I drill a hole in the driverside fenderwell, and put a grommet in the hole.

outside%20grommet.jpg

This is where the wires enter the interior.

inside%20grommet.jpg

-Rod

I also agree with paul. I 've been a professional installer(alarms and stereo)for 16 years and you should NEVER :eek: go around steering columns or pedals.I have seen more than one car with alarms or wiring getting tangled up from doing that type of install. Rod's location is very good or you can also go under the bulkhead connector on the left firewall right above the kickpanel area. In my own SC I ran 1/0 gauge wire through that area as well as various other wires. So play it safe and move those wires out of the steering boot. You can pick up a three piece rubber grommet that screws into a drilled hole and is alot easier to put in than pop in grommets-they will also not pop out of the hole they are put into. Most stereo shops should have them for purchase and are a couple bucks apiece.

OK - here is my compromise. You can remove the lower bolt (white cap bolt) to the steering boot and, it leaves you a nice hole, enough for a rubber grommet and one or two wires. It's also low enough for the wires to run immediately under the carpet, to avoid catching them with your feet. Also if you run all wires in a plastic loom, it stops them from moving around and getting caught around the pedals.

Back