Steering Column Repair

Jslobig

I recently broke the "plunger" (I call it) inside the steering column, so now in order to start my car, I need to reach under the column, pull out the little starter box, and manually push the little switch. The key will not start the car. Not only is this a pain in my a.., but obviously it is a security issue. I do have a kill switch on my remote, but the panel is accessible 24-7. The car drives perfectly, though. Where can I get parts to repair, other than a ford dealership? Any articles on repairing the steering column? Anyone have this problem before? (1994 3.8 SC)

common failure

with the ignition switch...should beable to go the wreckers .....and get a new to you switch..and key...held on with 2 small security torx bolts ...i didn't have a bit to undo them with ...but hammer and screwdriver took them off no problem...you have the choice of carrying a spare key to get in your car ..or change the door locks ..or change the barrel in the key switch with your old one... need a locksmith to do that ..or know someone that has the tool to pull the barrel out with ....dave

Back