PDA

View Full Version : What is your occupation or source of income?

Digitalchaos
06-30-2004, 02:59 PM
Just curious what the various members of the SC community do for a living or as a source of income!

I currently perform summer yard maintainance and freelance computer work..

pablo59
06-30-2004, 04:30 PM
I've been a stock broker/financial planner since Nov 1999, Jun 1995- Nov 1999 owned/ ran a bar. May 1988- Jun 1995 US ARMY/ TN Nat'l Guard.

SCrazy
06-30-2004, 07:06 PM
I'm a Professional Engineer with a EE degree. I work with Architects mostly on commercial buildings designing HVAC, Electrical, Plumbing and Fire Protection systems.

Mike8675309
06-30-2004, 07:44 PM
Senior Systems Analyst and in charge of Special Projects for a construction materials company. I also do contract software projects for a group out of New York as I have time.

XxSlowpokexX
06-30-2004, 10:46 PM
Hey Brian,

Im an Industrial Hygiene Engineer..I work within a Building Forensics Department..,You know...Find other peoples mistakes and find the fix. We also do commisioning/LEED work. Come to think of it your name sounds familiar. I work for LZA Technology/Thornton Tomasetti in Manhattan. WHo do you work for?

Damon

kenewagner
07-01-2004, 06:57 AM
I am a branch manager for FleetPride, a national heavy duty truck parts company. My branch is a gas transport repair shop as well as a full suspension shop. It gives me a place to store my SC and work on it as well. I have been in the welding and fabrication business most of my life. Should be interesting to see what some of the top dogs on the SCCoA do for a living

kuhnga
07-01-2004, 10:33 AM
I have been with GE for 10 years now. Mainly field Engineer/project manager.

I am currently Program Manager GE Energy. I coordinate service/install work Nationally with GE Water Technologies contracts. I ususally change positions every 2 years, so ask me in a week or so. :)

19dCavScout
07-01-2004, 12:38 PM
Im in the ARMY

SCrazy
07-01-2004, 12:52 PM
Hey Brian,

Im an Industrial Hygiene Engineer..I work within a Building Forensics Department..,You know...Find other peoples mistakes and find the fix. We also do commisioning/LEED work. Come to think of it your name sounds familiar. I work for LZA Technology/Thornton Tomasetti in Manhattan. WHo do you work for?

Damon

I'm with Progressive Engineering we've definately run across some LZA guys from the Connecticut office (Trumbell Right?). We do very limited commisioning but we're seeing more and more LEED work, we've started designing a couple of silver level project (including one at the Pentagon) but non have every gone LEED to completion of even formal listing.

David Neibert
07-01-2004, 02:56 PM
I'm the CEO of a medium size manufacturing company. We build drill rigs and tooling for enviromental and geotechnical soil investigations.

Here's a link to our crappy website. http://www.cmeco.com/

David

tim
07-01-2004, 03:50 PM
I drive a truck on the road. All the States all the time. We run a lot of east coast. ny, nj, penn, and southern coast states. I am thinking of quiting and getting a job at Burger King.

SC UL8R1990
07-01-2004, 07:14 PM
I work in a pizza place for now. But pretty soon ill be working for a title/mortgage company as a Title Extractor. Other than that im going to be a poor college student soon :o I'm going to Akron University here in NE Ohio , shooting for my bachelors majoring in Marketing Managment. :eek: :D

XxSlowpokexX
07-01-2004, 10:34 PM
Yes Brian thats correct...I figured youd be into commisoning/Leed being the feild your in.

Dave,

I used to be a psuedo geologist:O)

http://lzatechnology.com/index.php4

My company

tim
07-02-2004, 12:34 AM
All joking aside I have been thinking of getting into sales down at the local Ford dealer. I am tired of being gone all the time. I can see me selling pickups to the rednecks around here. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Darkside
07-02-2004, 12:51 AM
I work for Bode Aviation. I work with both of my older brothers. My oldest brother is the chief mechanic. We work on general aviation aircraft. Piston, turboprop, and some jet engines. Mainly piston engines. Basically, we are tractor mechanics. :o :D We operate a pretty decent fleet of flight training and charter airplanes. Definitely stay busy.

Bode Maintenance Website (http://www.flybode.com/maintenance.htm)

SilverCasket
07-02-2004, 06:04 AM
Believe it or not. My favorite job that I do from time to time is deliver pizza's! That has to be the most relaxing part of the day. I've been invited in. I've seen what some very strange people do on the inside when they'd rather I didn't come in. And the best part about it is that you don't even need to think to do the job & all your time could be spent thinking about whatever you want. Not just 'the job'.

Anthony

oh yeah. I also work for Merrill Lynch on technology infrastructure mainly with computer telephony integration.

Digitalchaos
07-18-2004, 04:01 PM
Very interesting responses here; I see there are a great many unique people in our community!

I would enjoy reading more responses to this thread, as I believe others would also!

bigg_boyys_SC
07-18-2004, 07:52 PM
I work in the felling industry know as textile. I am a technician (a.k.a. mechanic). I work on high speed prep. and spinning equipment. Due to most of our cloths being made in China I am currently enrolled in a trade school to learn pipe welding, and have maybe 4-5 months left.

kuhnga
07-20-2004, 03:07 PM
I am a ecotic dancer at night, I really have not made much money doing that for some reason. Everyone makes fun of my whipple tattoo on my upper thigh :rolleyes:

charged92
07-20-2004, 03:31 PM
I work for the Ford Motor Company, building those wonderfull Crown Victorias that are always chasing us down on the highway. :D

ThunderDave
07-20-2004, 03:34 PM
I'm the guy you'll see riding around the Walmart parking lot at 3am in a sweeper truck getting up all the trash that people threw down, oh I mean dropped :rolleyes: .

It's a dirty job, but somebody has to do it. One of the things I love to see them drop is money! :D

David

mcate
07-21-2004, 09:47 AM
I've been a Fire Controlman in the US Navy for 16 years. 1119 AN/SPY-1D Radar System & 1105 Aegis Weapons System are my 2 NEC's. Currently on instructor duty in Norfolk teaching SPY set up. Awaiting retirement in 2007. I also work part time selling lawn mowers & tractors at a local Sears here in Chesapeake. Been doing that for most of the past 11 years. Great 2nd job that finances my Super Coupe habit!

al35thsc
07-21-2004, 03:50 PM
Civil Engineer at the Army Corps of Engineers, part time construction with dad, little things here and there.

SteveSilverSC
07-21-2004, 05:40 PM
I have worked as a car stereo/security installer at Circuit City in the Carmel Mountain Ranch area of San Diego for the past 2 years. Can't say it's been very fun, but I've learned a lot of things and have purchased a lot of tools that I otherwise never would have gotten.

sd_iconoclast
07-24-2004, 12:05 AM
I write game software. Mostly for the PC. My brother and I have an upcoming release that can be found at www.enemytechnology.com

93SuperCoupeBoy
07-24-2004, 12:46 AM
Don't have a career yet, mainly because I'm only 16. BUT, so far I'm a website designer/computer dowhatever-er

www.ftwebd.com - my business site

Might as well give a portfolio while i'm at it :)
www.projectpaint.com - paint touchup system manufacturer (doesn't sell to public)
www.spinningwheels-sc.com - umm....some Supercoupe vender ;) :D :p
www.robuckwatch.com - local watch,jewelry,clock place

Nick

TBone95
07-24-2004, 09:08 AM
I'm 4/5ths of a Mechanical Engineer, I've got about a years worth of classes left. My school requires a lot of co-ops for work experience, so I am currently working at a glass plant in Corning, NY. We exclusively make the Corelle series of dishware. I guess my job title right now would be Assistant Maintenance Engineer or something like that. I typically work designing smaller, money-saving projects.

I've also worked at Borg Warner Automotive Morse TEC in Ithaca, NY. They build timing chains for just about everything. I dont believe they did the chain for the SC, but they do build the chains used on all of Fords 4.6 and 5.4 engines. They had racks of all types of engines for NVH testing, unfortunately I didnt get to do any work with that.

-Travis Johnson
1995 5 Speed
14.75@95mph

T-bird4vr
07-25-2004, 09:32 PM
I'm 4/5ths of a Mechanical Engineer, I've got about a years worth of classes left.

X2

Currenty I'm on a Co-op with Pella Corp as a Quality Engineer.
Great company, great pay for a young buck.

Wolfs_Rain
07-25-2004, 10:21 PM
I do some prototype building and some product testing (break stuff) at Miller Electric. (Miller Welders) But in a week I'll be starting my new job testing and answering phones in the service department.

Brad Klein
07-26-2004, 03:31 PM
i work as a production artist for a large sign company and on the side i started a real estate photography business taken pictures and designing mailers and marketing

007_SuperCoupe
07-26-2004, 04:16 PM
Full time Nebraska Guard member (AGR). I'm also a fulltime dad of 3 young children and an OVERTIME Super Coupe enthusiast...

In my freetime I enjoy hiking, fishing, camping, and aquariums...Which explains why the last time I went hiking was over 4 years ago...fishing was over 3 years ago...camping consists of setting the tent up in the back yard and my aquarium is 1/2 empty of water!

SCollord90
07-27-2004, 12:16 AM
I toss peoples salads for a living. Literally not figuratively. :p Being only 16 I work at a local pizza place doing everything from making pizza to subs and salads. Whatever they want. It sucks but it helps the bird "idle better" as I tell my Mom. :D

SupachargedSC
08-25-2004, 01:58 AM
I work at harbor freight tools, it is a job with medical thats about all the pay sucks. I am working on becoming an electrician.

forcfed93
08-25-2004, 01:32 PM
I'm the CEO of a medium size manufacturing company. We build drill rigs and tooling for enviromental and geotechnical soil investigations.

Here's a link to our crappy website. http://www.cmeco.com/

David

I'm a freelance website designer .......... Hey Dave, I'd be glad to rework that website for a few $$$. After all, I still need some more SC parts :p

JStudrawa
08-25-2004, 04:20 PM
I'm Senior Accountant for a real estate developer in Atlanta. It's pretty amazing to watch the construction process of high rise condos and apartment complexes from the inside.

I also am getting into renovating homes and will be getting my real estate license in a few months. Both are tentative steps to supplement income, but who knows where they'll lead, if anywhere!

For fun I'm a huge computer gamer and sci-fi reader, plus I spend way too much time researching audio/video.

TbirdSCFan
08-26-2004, 12:43 AM
Visual software and systems engineer at a simulation company. I design and write software for military aircraft simulators. Not the whole thing mind you, we have teams of engineers as simuators are rather complex; I work on the software which is a part of a subsystem... That is, when I get the chance.

More than 1/2 the time, I get paid a salary to mediate between arrogant and selfish techy type people with graduate degrees with no lives. Some of you may know the type, the types that are so busy telling you just how smart they are, and how dumb everyone else is, that you can't interrupt them to tell them their fly is unzipped ;)

darkstar_one
08-26-2004, 12:59 AM
low life...

Bulky
08-31-2004, 09:05 PM
Any chance we can talk Tim into being the "Official SCCoA Parts Runner"? Since you're going that way any way..... how about bringing this engine out west.... just kidding.

I drive a truck on the road. All the States all the time. We run a lot of east coast. ny, nj, penn, and southern coast states. I am thinking of quiting and getting a job at Burger King.

Doug Franklin
09-03-2004, 01:20 AM
Sales Engineer for a mostly aerospace parts manufacturer. We design and build latches, fasteners, quickrelease mechanisms, pins, adjustable diameter bolts and pins. We are Gadgeteers I guess.

http://www.avibank.com/index.cfm?id=1

MIKE 38sc
09-04-2004, 04:12 PM
Well for 23 years I've been an industrial Pipefitter-welder and fabricator. But since that job market dried up I've been doing whatever metal fabricating and repair work I can scrounge up. Gotta do something to pay the bills and put beans on the table.

Shooter_Jay
09-04-2004, 09:46 PM
For me the generic answer would be CADD (Computer Aided Drafting Design) technician. What that really means for me is between bouts of red tape I get to design parts, assemblies, and procedures for custom specialized low production run machinery for shipyards and military organizations. No SR71's or anything, stuff like material handling equipment, hoists, trucks, tractors, etc.. www.entwistleco.com
The pizza guy brought back some memories, I did that for six or seven years. I loved that job. Used to drive around town with my friends all the time making good money. Had to find a way to make a better future for myself though because that wasn't going to do it forever.

OzzManG149
09-05-2004, 02:42 AM
Im in the Oklahoma National Gaurd as a (15U) CH-47 Chinook Mechanic. My full time job is with Lier Siglier Inc. as a Ch-47 Chinook Mechanic :D

http://members.tccoa.com/ozzmang149/GFX/ChinookSC.jpg

JSC
09-06-2004, 07:28 PM
Regional operations manager for the largest swimming pool supply wholesaler in the world. (Poolcorp) I handle Arizona and Nevada.
At night....WWW.CRUSHED.NET

SuperCoupe007
09-07-2004, 06:16 PM
B.S. in EE, but no job.. :p Bad job market, and no one wants to give an "Entry Level" person an opportunity... heheheheheheheh.. Atleast i still have my SC... hehehehe :)

NorthrnSCownr
09-08-2004, 03:12 PM
I'm a foreman for a construction/carpentry firm.
I lead teams of people through all aspects of home renevations, remodling, additions new construction etc.
Cool thing about my job is the diversity. Almost every facet of science relates to my job, and I learn something new almost everyday.... especially patience.
Tom

darkstar_one
09-08-2004, 04:04 PM
well me i am know a proud SHELL GAS STATION CLERK :D yey, im financially stable now...

TBIRD1
09-10-2004, 02:39 PM
Im A Auto Body Estimator Been Doing This For About 2 1/2 Years

Callmewhitexr7
09-19-2004, 09:22 PM
I'm a Garage door man. For H&H Garage door outta Moore Oklahoma.

NICK

stubbs
09-19-2004, 11:18 PM
I am an Auto Tech in training, was a CAD drafter, Data/communications Tech, chef at the Hilton Inns, roofer, landscaper. I have done a lot, because there is a whole lot not mentioned there as well :)

EGGZ_90 _SC
09-20-2004, 11:15 AM
im a pipe fitter/welder for the United Association of Plummers and Steamfitters Union.. im from Local 67 in Hamilton Ontario Canada and i have my own small fab shop and on weekends im a doorman at a few bars and ive done security for private parties and for some big name bands...

Thundrstruck
10-23-2004, 09:25 AM
I am a truck driver. I drive a 5-pack car carrier out of Manheim, PA. We cover PA, DE, MD, NY, NJ, CT, VA, WV, sometimes NC, and "snowbird" runs to FL. We mostly haul for dealers from auctions. Not much private work.

unclenick
10-23-2004, 09:57 AM
I am a Store Manager for Goodyear in Florida, have been for 7 years, before that, mechanic for 10 for Goodyear. Man, I should have listened to my father.....

importkiller
11-23-2004, 05:53 AM
professional bodyguard. i'll take a bullet so u don't have to!!!!

darriantbird
11-23-2004, 10:08 AM
I am a Team Leader at QB soling we make vibram soles for firefighters ,military and such.
http://www.vibram.us/ :D

leeklimala
11-23-2004, 11:02 AM
7 years in the USMC as an Intelligence Analyst as well as a Marine Combat Instructor of Water Survival, and let's not forget that every Marine is a rifleman.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/567000-567999/567621_6_full.jpg

Jester
11-30-2004, 02:21 PM
8 Years in the United States Marine Corps. Currently an Armor officer away from my tank.

Jester

tmh620
11-30-2004, 04:16 PM
I work for FoMoCo, in Allen Park. I write/administer/trouble shoot warranty plans for Ford's Extended Service Plan (ESP). It doesn't pay enough, but thats ok, I can go to school full time, which I do, and spend evening (after school) at home with the wife and my 15 month old daughter.

I used to work the inspection team here for warranty inspections. You have got to love the people that think running their car into another car is a warrantable repair, after all, it is bumper to bumper, right?

Evil_bob
12-01-2004, 09:23 PM
I own and operate a construction company with my father in Parry Sound, Ont. we specialize in .... how shall i put this .. "technically difficult" construction. for example, a job on the muskoka's that we are currently doing has us creating a driveway down a cliff so that the owner can get his mercedes to the boathouse from his mansion... ON TOP OF A 180 FT cliff. heh.

ColoSC
12-01-2004, 10:13 PM
I am a master electrician and for fun, full time SC mechanic! Love both my jobs!

tmh620
12-01-2004, 11:40 PM
I own and operate a construction company with my father in Parry Sound, Ont. we specialize in .... how shall i put this .. "technically difficult" construction. for example, a job on the muskoka's that we are currently doing has us creating a driveway down a cliff so that the owner can get his mercedes to the boathouse from his mansion... ON TOP OF A 180 FT cliff. heh.

Parry Sound. Hey Evil Bob, do you know the island that is just outside of Marianna Bay (Beae Fin (?)), where the Ochechobee Lodge is at? There is usually a naked blond manikin sitting in a bath tub there....? If you go by there, throw something at it, the island belongs to my former father in law.

I used to come up to your neck of the woods in the summer time.....nice area.

tbirdfan1993
12-02-2004, 09:07 AM
I'm a college student, and I'm in the Military. What the hell do I NOT do?

suutari
12-02-2004, 09:27 AM
Hi!
Im university student currently and Starting my master thesis next year. Majour is Machine engineering and minor car engineering..
Had my own car tuning parts import company for a while and currently only studying and making few programmable ecus and some small research projects for Patria vehicles (military vehicles)/bombardier(skidoo/lynx) etc..
Sami, Finland

Max
12-02-2004, 11:27 AM
Certified A&P Aircraft Mechanic. Im responsible for overseeing maintenance compliance on a large number of Corporate Jets & Helicopters from King Airs to Challengers. Name some companies and I have probably had something to do with their flight dept. Nike, Harley D, Level Three, Vulcan, Snap-On, to name a couple, and a whole flock of private jets.
---Max

rzimmerl
12-02-2004, 12:20 PM
Tool engineer for General Dynamics Land Systems for the day and part time auto sales at Sears

mkeethler
12-02-2004, 12:38 PM
Just curious what the various members of the SC community do for a living or as a source of income!

I currently perform summer yard maintainance and freelance computer work..
I work in construction as a materials manager. Mostly in the power industry, but currently receiving, storing, and mothering 35M in parts to build an addition to a corn syrup plant in Tn.

XtinctBird
12-12-2004, 02:39 PM
Well, I am or was a Service Advisor for a ford dealership, than a saturn dealership. Had my mother get sick about a year ago, and left saturn to take care of her, busted my knee about 4 months ago, and am just gettin back on my feet, so been unemployed for a year now..... :(

Anyone need an employee in the Phoenix AZ area?

Other than that, I am trying to get my start-up performance suspension business going. I will cater to cars and trucks, only top line performance suspension products, and the best service.

Michael Mattix
02-14-2005, 08:31 PM
Cerified Airframe and Powerplant mechanic working as a Senior Technical Writer for L3 Communications developing military manuals for various military aircraft, mostly about offensive and defensive systems :cool: .

Envious
02-25-2005, 11:07 PM
Molding Technician

blue94sc
02-27-2005, 03:42 PM
I am a mechanical engineer currently working for Owens-Illinois developing high speed glass container inspection machines.
I guess that at work or in my SC I am a speed freak.
Bill

thumphed
03-03-2005, 08:05 PM
Student of Automotive Service Management(#2236)
currently carrying a 3.86 and about to come up again

I start right after spring break at a local independent shop, doing mainly heavy line work, with some small light line ...

no164ford
03-05-2005, 01:20 AM
I do industrial maintenance for 7 diffrent 210,000 to 490,000 sq foot wherehouses (all owned by one co.), Mostly I deal with industrial eletrical systems. But I also do alot of welding/fabracation, tela/data networking, convayor eletric fork truck repair, plowing snow, working on company cars, fabracating stuff for my cars HAHAHA!!, and anything else you could think of. On the side I do some ebaying to help support my ford habbit! I now have 4 supercoupes, 1 1964 f-100, 1 5.0 thunderbird, 1 1985 f-150 4x4, and 1 1999 chevy malbu (It,s the wifes NOT MINE! and it is currently for sale, I talked her into a mustang Much better). And the sad part is is that most of them are on the road!

SCme
03-05-2005, 10:25 AM
For now supervisor for McKee Foods, largest snack cake maker in the U.S. Better know as Little Debbie. Open Up a Smile :D Little Debbie has a snack for you.

If things continue to progess, owner of a Kwik Kar Lube Center in about 6 months.

AlanEdwards
03-05-2005, 01:08 PM
I serve in the US Air Force Reserve and am currently going through Tech School for INTEL Analyst at Goodfellow AFB in TX, getting ready for a possible deployment to the sandbox. Back home I work as a Phlebotomy Technician at Emory University Hospital in Atlanta, GA.

Slysc
03-05-2005, 09:20 PM
I'm an engineer. I specialize in Automotive instrument panel/cockpits.

FearThis SC
03-08-2005, 03:02 PM
I work as a Technology-based Training Analyst for the DOE!

chadder1313
03-08-2005, 10:58 PM
Man i feel bad posting this but i deliver pizzas for know. Tips are good though.

Michael Mattix
03-09-2005, 12:04 AM
Pssh. Don't feel bad. I think most people I know have started out "delivering pizza's" or had like jobs. Don't worry. It will get better if you do the right things.

SCownerIL
03-09-2005, 12:08 AM
currently, I'm a booth op at a movie theatre. been working there about 2.5 years, and making pretty crappy money. =

I put in an application at Menard's for a summer job doing the 5-9am stock job, but we'll see what happens.

other than that, I'm a sophomore at Bradley University in Peoria, IL studying Electrical Engineering (Computer Option). I have no idea what I'm going to do when I get out, though.

but as of right now, I'm listening to MC Hammer's Greatest Hits. :cool:

midgetchaser
03-10-2005, 09:41 PM
Sheet Metal Worker

Proud to be Union Local 73

crzykyman
03-11-2005, 04:12 PM
Current source of income : Collections rep> (bill collector) for a major credit card company on accounts that are 6-7 months past due...

Current job: Gambler (blackjack), the secret is knowing when to walk away... takes a lot of discipline.

devilboy
03-15-2005, 08:18 PM
Currently I work for the local dealership (Fairfield) as a body shop technician. So everybody out there keep wreking your cars, I could use the extra cash. Just don't be wreking the T-birds! :D

Miller
03-15-2005, 08:40 PM
highschool student....workin part time in an Airconditiong Warehouse ( Sid Harveys ) .. and I know somebody, sooO im in the beginning stages of getting into the Steamfitters 638 right after graduation.. ...and if that happens....im set

ben04
03-20-2005, 06:06 PM
college student, while working part time as a chef. :cool:

SCownerIL
03-21-2005, 04:36 AM
anyone know where I could get a Calvin decal like the one ^ ?

defect
03-27-2005, 02:07 PM
I work at CSX repairing the railroad tracks in Niagara Falls

Proud member of BMWED Division of the Teamsters.

If interested the railroads are hiring countrywide.

drsonier
04-12-2005, 11:34 PM
I am a second level bi-ligual support analyst for the Royal bank financial Group of canada, so really a desk jockey with tape on my glasses. Job is good but hate the commute...... scary thing is being 22 years old and managing 19 people who are all older then you.,,,.. such an odd feeling.

bman1985
04-14-2005, 01:32 AM
Construction and Grass mowing in the summers/winters, college student the rest of the year...kinda puts a damper on the whole making the sc fast thing, most the money goes to keeping it on the road not much left after books and beer

wigglesrewind
04-14-2005, 04:38 AM
college student-was studying history education now trying out business/auto repair.

i work at a grocery store close to 40 hours a week and fill in another 10 to 20 hours a week as a pizza delivery boy, part time mechanic, or help out my old man with his business(surfacing company)