Tokico Illumina II on E-Bay $380

Rich Thomson

I found a set of the SC Illumina II shocks for the ARC on E-Bay. $380 shipped. Seems like a pretty good price. Anyone find cheaper pricing?

That's a pretty good price. If someone knows where they can get them the same price all day long I'd like to know.

Notice the other set for sale on there is at $499 plus $40 shipping on top.

Mike8675309 said:
That's a pretty good price. If someone knows where they can get them the same price all day long I'd like to know.

Notice the other set for sale on there is at $499 plus $40 shipping on top.

http://performance.speedycarparts.com/

They have fronts (EU3689) for $123 each and rears (EU3690) for $109 each. $464 for a complete set, free shipping.

If Ebay's are new and you feel confident....

Spend $500 and get a set of Konis. Or spend $400 on the Tokicos, and use the $100 you save toward the next set of shocks you have to buy a few years from now.

cheers,
Ed N.

fast Ed N said:
Spend $500 and get a set of Konis. Or spend $400 on the Tokicos, and use the $100 you save toward the next set of shocks you have to buy a few years from now.

cheers,
Ed N.

Ed, always the critic. LOL Hey, some people love OE quality. GM is living proof of that.

Yes, but the labour to replace dead shocks every few years, especially if you don't have the tools, or time, to do it yourself, could be a pain. When I was an SC newbie, thinking that it would be great to keep the auto-ride system, I put Illumina 2 shocks in my 95 when the Eibachs went in. 3 years and about 50,000 miles later, the shocks, especially the rears, were dead. We then put in a set of Koni Sports, which is what I would have done in the first place if I'd known what was going to happen with the Tokicos. 95% of the time, I had the Tokicos set on firm anyway. I'm not the only one who has experienced this premature failure.

I'm not trying to be argumentative here, just making the point that many people have been disappointed with the Tokico Illumina 2 shocks, long-term. Which shocks anyone chooses to install in their car is certainly their decision. :)

cheers,
Ed N.

50K miles on a shock though are considered pretty good by most people. I know most people think about replacing shocks at 60K if not sooner.

If anything it's not that the Illumina II shocks are so bad, it's just they pale in comparison to the Koni shocks.

Of course most shocks pale in comparison, but most shocks don't cost the preminum that the Illumina adjustables do. Thus thier high price has them competeing with the Koni's.

I might be able to get some cash free if the kids would stop outgrowing everything, and the wife would stop buying so much. For a set of Koni shocks I could heat soup and microwave popcorn for two weeks. For some reason the family doesn't feel the same way.

Ed, Your opinions are always welcome. I agree replacing the front would be a pain. The rears are pretty easy to replace. How did you determine the rear shocks had failed? Did they leak? Many years ago I was working on what is now Duffy's car and the OEM front shock failed which sprayed oil all over me.

Rich

Mike, I agree, 50,000 miles out of set of shocks, especially in a performance application, isn't bad. But when you compare them to the OE Tokico shocks, which people seem to have no trouble getting 90,000 to 100,000 + miles out of, it's not great. Especially when the main selling point of the Illumina 2 shocks is that they are stiffer than OE. Maybe for the first 10,000 miles, but after that, I'd say not.

Rich, I determined that the shocks were dead by the way the back of the car would bounce around over yumps in the road at 100 mph. ;) It was gradual, so I didn't notice it so much until one day when I was pushing some high speed sweepers on a highway near the Toronto airport ... and the back of the car was bobbing around like mad!! Of course, I didn't slow down. :p So we installed the rear Konis right away that fall (2002), because as you mentioned, they are an easy swap. In the meantime I left the rear Konis set about 1/3 off of full soft, seemed a decent match for the worn front Tokicos. The fronts weren't quite as bad, so we saved that bigger job for the spring of 2003, just before Carlisle that year.

cheers,
Ed N.

fast Ed N said:
Mike, I agree, 50,000 miles out of set of shocks, especially in a performance application, isn't bad. But when you compare them to the OE Tokico shocks, which people seem to have no trouble getting 90,000 to 100,000 + miles out of, it's not great. Especially when the main selling point of the Illumina 2 shocks is that they are stiffer than OE. Maybe for the first 10,000 miles, but after that, I'd say not.

cheers,
Ed N.

Ed, how many miles on the Konis now? Well my nephews stock OEM shocks were completely worn out at 68,000 miles. That car avg 6800 miles a year so you figure mostly in town miles. I would bet that most people who get 100,000 miles on the stock shocks should have replaced them 20,000 miles ago. When you drive a car everyday things creep up on you. It seems everytime I drive someones car I find something wrong. That's why it's good to let someone drive your car once in a while to catch those type of problems.

I would think that Ebiach or any lowering spring is going to wear out a shock that is designed for stock height. Do they sell the Illumina IIs with lowering springs as a kit? I know they do the Blues.

Jerry

My Koni's have been on the XR7 since 1995. I'd say they are pushing at least 80K miles but I'm not sure. Haven't noticed any loss of performance from them. Even on the ultra soft setting they do not bounce, only float.

Jerry, I've only put maybe 10,000 miles or less, on the Konis since all 4 were put in the car last spring. The car only sees around 7 - 8,000 miles per summer now, I don't rack up the miles on it like I did when it was my daily driver for 4 years ... that was about 20,000 + per year.

I'll agree that at 100,000 miles, the OE shocks have probably lost a lot of their damping ... but being in the position where I am selling parts to many of the SCCoO members, I know that a bunch of them have had excellent life out of their original shocks, and are pleased with the OE Tokicos when they buy them as replacements too.

The Tokico Illumina 2 shocks are available as a kit with the 1.25" lowering springs, I tried looking on the Tokico site for details, but it looks like the application guide part of the site is having trouble right now.

www.tokicogasshocks.com

Lowering springs, which are generally stiffer than OE springs, are usually best when installed with upgraded shocks. I guess the point I'm trying to make, is that the Illumina 2s don't really seem to be much of an upgrade once they have accumulated a few miles, compared to the OE Tokicos. I just don't feel that the dollar value is there. A hundred and some odd dollars more for the Konis vs. the Tokicos 2s is money well spent, IMO. It's too bad that the Bilsteins have been discontinued, they were nice units.

cheers,
Ed N.

Would how the car is driven and the road conditions also play a key roll on how long the life is one a set of shocks??

i seriously dought gettign Air at RR crossings, Humps, intersections, ect would be good ont he shocks (never mind other parts of the car) along with racing the car on the track??

I was happy with the stock shocks, fronts where slightly `Floaty' for soemthing that was surpose of been replaced like 12-18months Before i got the tokico's...
The tokicos, where stiffer at first, like Ed said, then `loosened' up and seemed to like to `float' at higher speeds on the highway.. IN FIRM!! but for something seemed to stiffen up nicely (to thepoint of the CD-player skiping, ect ) when you started to work them (Sea-side highway, ect)

Now i have the Koni's, heh WOW... i have them at 3/4 to full, and they don't seem `stiff-stiff' they give a nice ride.. maybe it's the Eibachs, which i heard have a `soft' ride to start with...

i bet with enough research, one can fidn a set of Blistens that'll work in or cars again.. they gotta make a Insert that'll work in our front shocks.. and the rears.. Sheesh.. we can't eb the only one to have a Eyelet on the bottom, and stud on top.. MAYBE one tha's 1-2" shorter then the stock one?? (great for lowered cars :)

Need shocks

:confused: Ok guys,
I need some shocks. I just read all your post. I want to keep my ride control, so what are my options for replacement besides the dealer? I saw the Tokios or whatever those are called on ebay and they claim to work with the stock ride system. They want $550 for all 4 and 1.25 lowering springs. Autozone or Pepboys quoted me $165 each for bilsteins (you know what I'm trying to spell) but I'm not sure they really had the ones for an SC. How hard are the fronts to put on? Any special tools? :confused:

Last edited:
The only solution that allows you to keep your two setting auto-ride control is a shock from Tokico.

If you buy them from Ford they are the Illumina shock or Illumina 1. That is the stock replacement.

Most aftermarket places are selling the Illumina 2 which is supposed to be a firmer shock. Various people have reported various feelings about if the Illumina 2 is really all that much firmer.

If you buy any other shock, the Auto Ride Control (ARC) will no longer function.

The KONI shock that we are talking about is an adjustable shock but has a variable adjustment from (what I've heard) a little less than the stock FIRM setting, to extremely FIRM. But with these the adjustment is done manually with knob on the top of the shock. You don't use your ARC with these either.

Rich Thomson said:
This is the kit I purchased and thius is the kit you want to get. Mike is correct only two options if you want to keep your ARC. Stock Ford or Tokico Illumina II.

ARC Illumina II on E-Bay

Rich,
Just wondering how this transacation went because I'm thinking about purchasing a set from this guy.
Thanks,
Mike

I also purchased a set from jdmwerks and was very pleased with my purchase.

FYI-the Illumina Shocks coming from Tokico are NOT OEM as far as valving goes-factory valving makes the ride softer in the SC because not everyone bought these cars for racing everywhere as fast as possible.

The new shocks are definitely firmer-on both auto and firm settings.

Back