EGR Going bad??

PearlBird

My check engine light had been coming on occasionally but wasn't hindering my cars performance at all. I finally got the time to run the code and it was something about the EGR. Has anyone else had this problem? If you have was it the sensor that was bad or were the tunnels the EGR uses just clogged up? Also I istalled a 3" intake tube with k&n cone filter and was wondering if the MAF needed to be sticking staight up. Right now it is cocked at a bit a an angle and I just wanted to make sure that was ok.

( ! ) <---- MAF sensor in the straight up position.

Mine is tilted about a 15degree turn to the right.

I'm still wrestling with mine. I get code 335 - transducer (sensor) out of range. It looks like an SOB job to get the EGR itself off while on the car; but I might just remove the windshield cowl and the wiper blade, then try and take the whole thing off from the header end & replace it all. If one of the hoses is bad then maybe take a chance and just replace that. I even put my AutoXray scanner on it and monitored it while driving; the voltage seemed to stay in range (0-5v I believe is the range and, mine stayed between 0.1 an about 1.0), but the EGR %age was inconsistant. It would be 0% at idle and not always progress thru 30-40-50% when opening up the throttle; so I'm guessing that the EGR itself is sticking.
Love to get some more technical advise on this - George, Vernon, Duffy - Anybody !!!!!

Non-Functional EGR

A non-functioning EGR is a GOOD thing, as long as it's stuck CLOSED. Stuck open & your performance gets hosed.

68COUGAR

Your best bet is to hose the EGR system with solvent and try to decarbeurize the valve. Likely the valve is sticking. The problem with a sticking valve is that when it is supposed to be closed, it will stick a tiny bit open and allow pressure through... This causes the loss of power and false codes to be triggered. If yours isn't sticking a tiny bit open yet, it will soon if it isn't cleaned out. You can take the EGR system off, but it's a H*ll of a lot easier to clean it and forget about having to mess with the signals. Unless you have a tuner.

Hey I been get a cel... comes on goes off real quick...

System lean. I think it is my fuel pressure. I used to get EGR during extended periods of Idel... Now that is OK. It tends to run lean with like less than a 1/4 tank of gas in ,with the check guage lite on, and going around corners. I mean seriously what should I do to fix the problem ? Should I keep at least 1/2 a tank in or what? Will this solve the pressure problem ? When will it ever end ????

stocker 89 said:
System lean. I think it is my fuel pressure. I used to get EGR during extended periods of Idel... Now that is OK. It tends to run lean with like less than a 1/4 tank of gas in ,with the check guage lite on, and going around corners. I mean seriously what should I do to fix the problem ? Should I keep at least 1/2 a tank in or what? Will this solve the pressure problem ? When will it ever end ????

You've a wierd condition... You're not going to like this, but you should drop your gas tank to check the condition of the sock on your fuel pump as well as the baffling inside the tank. Check your fuel filter while you're diggin' into the fuel system and maybe now's a good time to upgrade the fuel pump if this is in order for you.... Your fuel pump could just be dying but not quite dead yet. Wierd that it does it around corners, tho.

Back