WWQMD? What would Quasi Mofo do?

Quasi Mofo

Trick question for the real power makers out there:

If you had a very limited budget but wanted EVERY possible ounce of horsepower and torque out of a SC engine what would you do?

Here is why I asked.

My 1990 SC engine is now being installed in a 1967 Datsun SPL1600 Roadster. Imagine your favorite engine in a 1500lb chassis... yup that's the ticket.

We are building the car for a magazine event that requires you to spend ONLY $2000.00 on the purchase, improvement and completion of your car.

I have all the components to start with, a HEAVILY modified frame with Miata front suspension and Mustang rear suspension, a full TBird SC to part out, a set of split port 97 f150 heads and intake should I choose to turbocharge as opposed to supercharge, 1998 Mustang tube headers, a buddy with a mandrel bender in his garage for exhaust and tubing issues :cool: a 3.55 Ranger gearset for the Stang rear.

What would YOU do to make free/cheap horsepower with one of these.
What I plan to do:
-Port supercharger/intake/heads
-Megasquirt-N-EDIS system for fuel adjustability
-Tube headers (stock 98 Mustang) X-pipe and short dual 2.5" exhaust
-Focus fuel tank and pump (worlds best kept secret) as well as Walbro external 255lph pump
-Adjustable fuel pressure regulator
-Water injection
-Nitrous shot

Ideas to entertain
-Supercharger pulley - WHERE AND HOW CHEAP?
-Alternate throttle body - WHICH ONE? BEST JY SWAP?
-Any other suggestions?

That's for the GRM annual challenge? I'd love to see pics of this beast when it's done. :D

Supercharger pulley you should be able to find a used one for a good price on the classifieds here. Throttle body, the aftermarket units for 94 - 95 5.0L Mustang will work by modifying the linkage.

cheers,
Ed N.

Sounds pretty cool. How is the $2000 accounted for? I mean, have you already spent it getting the Datsun, the SC, and the other parts, or does "stuff you have lying around" not count against the budget? Because the "stuff you have lying around" rule seems like a pretty big loop hole, what if somebody had a build big block sitting in the garage...

Also, what is the contest goal - fastest/quickest quarter mile? If so I would spend some cash on a pair of GOOD slicks, since you'll need them with a 1500lb car and 3.55 gears!

Porting the supercharger, intake, and heads is probably the best thing you can do without spending money (assuming your own labor is "free" for this contest). Port the heck out of everything. Do some searching here about the best way to improve those exhaust ports (build up weld, make D shape, etc). For the exhaust, you could make headers or use ported stock manifolds, just open it all up as much as you can.

I'd stick with the stock EEC-IV controller, it's better than most aftermarket or DIY ones anyway. You can get away with a lot of mods before you really need to reprogram it, especially if it's not a daily driver.

For cheap tuning, get a C&L MAF with sampling tube to match the larger injectors you will need (probably 38's or 42's). Then use the AFPR to tweak things at the track.

Another cheap DIY mod would be to build a double intercooler. Spare cores are cheap so that is worth it if you can weld it up yourself.

Rob Noth said:
How is the $2000 accounted for?

Also, what is the contest goal - fastest/quickest quarter mile? If so I would spend some cash on a pair of GOOD slicks, since you'll need them with a 1500lb car and 3.55 gears!

Another cheap DIY mod would be to build a double intercooler. Spare cores are cheap so that is worth it if you can weld it up yourself.

This link will tell you nearly everything about the event:
GRM Challenge

My car will have updates up in a while, I am waiting to get the body donor before posting more here:
eVilallianceracing.com Board

Back