Gotta throw in the towel!!!!!!!!!

Dahoopd

Well, I haven't even begun the HG task on a car I have had 2weeks. I have read the threads and plucked ears to get a good start and its just too much. I have had people send me threads in hope to help and all it did was throw me for a loop. These cars are way too much trouble to get anything out of. I love the body and the looks, but its just so much easier to uncap the air box throw an intake and gears on a ragged 5.0 and have fun. I tried to hang, and money is not the issue but to even make one mod you have to reconstruct the the world. I commend you guys for even having the patience. After reading threads and bugging the **** out of everyone, its got me beat. I just cant see starting a bank account on a 12 year old car that might get 250HP if I had a clue. Anyway, I guess Im beat,because with a ford 5.0 you can just bolt it and run it. it all works. I will admit getting 400hp out of a V6 is inspiring. Thanks for the time...................GL

No offense intended, but I got the distinct impression that you were making it way harder than it needs to be.

250hp is nothing. 300hp requires some bolt on parts. 12 seconds requires effort.

Stick in there

I am in the middle of a head gasket change and its not that difficult. With anyones opinion you must weed out the most concise advice and go with that. Also consult a good shop manual that will fill in the holes in the information provided by the forum. Success starts with confidence.

Well I have done headgaskets on two SCs. The only difference between a SC V6 and a N/A V6 on the headgasket replacement is the IC tubes and IC. The M90 and inlet plenum unbolt then come off as a unit and is no different than removing the upper intake on a 5.0 or N/A V6. Once you remove the SC/inlet and then the return plenum off the intake you have a regular V6. It's no big deal at all.

I know exactly how you feel, I've felt that way many times. Well personally I've come too far to not keep it a while. I bought mine 3 months ago and did the head gaskets, heater core, and rebuilt the transmission - cost $1500 + $500 purchase price. I've put 200 miles on it so far. Waiting til I can afford a clutch, then it should finally be driveable.

Well see you asked what should I do so I dont have to redo....

You can attain 300rwhp with all bolt ons and a stock cam and heads...But you said.........

Take it from a guy that has a stang and another rather quick fox bodied ford....Youl love the SC..Its worth it..

just redo the heads and throw a cam in thier.....The rest you can bolt on bit by bit...Heads are off anyway ya know....

Well, I read the replies and it makes the fight in me come alive, knowing I never beat the patience battle. Since I want to drive this before it breaks my patience. Here is what I plan to do. If this isn't right let me know. Heads freshened up,left stock, ARP studs. Stock exhaust maifolds ported. After market exhaust. Haven't figured out what kind but none the less, exhaust. MP FMIC, after market rad, Raised top, and CAI. This is the extent of my mods other than 3:73's. Am I going wrong anywhere. Am I going to have eec problems, fuel, anything else. If these mods are going to place me in a much needed upgrade area then what do I subtract or add. But I have enough to do these mods and then the dog and I are on a bread and water smorgasbord. On a side note my 9 year old son prefers that I just by him more playstation games, get in the car dump the clutch and light em up. To him there is nothing faster than lighting the tires and hitting second. Wouldn't it be nice if that was true.

Actually that is almost exactly what i have in my "slow" car. :D Not a bad plan of attack and the car will be a lot more fun to drive. However, personally I'd can all that stuff and just do the heads. Like Damon said, heads and cam first, everything else later.

Yah I'd do a bit more then just freshen up the heads. It;s a matter of how much you want to spend though. I gave you the contact info of the guy to get SC ported heads from. Those heads are good for over 400rwhp with a whipple,,Right Dave?...So youll never have to change em again....Ever..That and a reground cam. There are many grinds available. If your serious about one someone will help you with a choice.

Now if you just plan on freshening up the heads and sticking with the stock cam..Here is what I'd do.

Get the ARP Head studs and Reg Felpro Gaskets. Some will reccomend MLS gaskets but they will give you [roblems without the correct block and head sealing surface..SO DONT DO IT

You can port match lower intake while your at it,,,Just for the hell of it.

Port the exhaust manifolds outlet. When you redo the exhaust go with a magnaflow resonator and your choice of mufflers. You can go true dual 2.5 inch on your setup if you have a good exhaust guy.

Denso iridium IT 20 plugs...GREAT PLUGS

Pual at BTM can hook you up with some lightwieght Underdrive pulleys and a smaller blower pulley..Go for that.

He can also get you a nice CAI for your application.

Larger Mass air..76 mm range will hold you off for awhile.

255lph or 190lph in tank pump

The mods abouve wont be that expensive and you havnt even touched the blower yet. It will be a difference you can feel

After that go for the

(If you dont plan on Upgrading to a whipple supercharger you might want to get a rased SC top port your own stock inlet to accept a 70mm TB and send charger out for porting and a rebuild OR Upgrade to a 94-95 blower, have that ported and buy an MP inlet and 70-85mm TB..But for all this you might as well go for that whipple charger that Dave sells)

Radiator made by mike..He does nice work

MP front mount IC (or just a fan on your stock IC as a money saver)

Lower intake modified by RANDY BAKER of Baker Performance

HOWEVER INSTEAD OF GOING WITH THE MP FRONT MOUNT I WOULD TALK TO DAVE ABOUT GETTING A WHIPPLE CHARGER SETUP FOR YOUR CAR.....FOR ABOUT TWICE AS MUCH YOULL MAKE MUCH MORE POWER EFFICIENTLY AND WILL NOT NEED AS LARGE AN IC TO COOL YOUR CHARGE. Just my opinion

At this point youd need some kind of tuner and larger injectors;O)

Hell you can probably make a heck of alot of power with the stock heads and cam.....Who knows,,But I'd bite the bullet and do that first. Soo what ya going to dooooooo

Well.....I had to do my HG job at my apartment complex. I live on the third floor! It was a real PITA to haul parts up and down the stairs all the time. Rain or shine, I was always out there under my parking space working on it for 3 weeks. No power tools or fancy garages. So i know if I can do it, you can too :).

Go for it........

...you'll be gald you did. Like Damon said, driving a super coupe is different than driving a Mustang. I did my head gaskets in January, in the cold, rain, dark, no matter what, I was out there working on it. All I had was hand tools, wrenches, sockets and basic stuff. It was sometimes challenging, but if you run into a problem, there is always someone on here ready to give you some info and help. When they blew, I like you got very discouraged and was ready to get rid of it, but a lot of guys on here talked me into to fixing it and I'm glad I did.

I didn't do anything fancy, just a basic head gasket job and new plugs, wires and thermostat while I was in there. It's still giving me some other problems, but I'm driving it and so I'm glad they talked me into fixing mine and you'll be glad if you fix yours too.

Good luck

David

I'd also hold off on the front mount intercooler unless you can get a deal on one. That much money can benefit elsewhere. At least wait and see what's available from others after you get the head work done. The SC market is really moving forward and I think the bleeding edge is going to be stablizing over this summer.

Thats a lot of info. It took me awhile to get it, maybe I was asking the wrong questions. I can see the light. I dont want to upgrade to a whipple, I would prefer to upgrade to the 94/95 though. just a few more questions and I think I can be on track. Im kinda leary about the cam redo, Its just me, the dog, hand tools and a driveway. I wouldn't be able to do the cam, I had a friend do the cams on my 5.0's, but not now.

Plan: aluminum rad, AM heads, 70mm TB, 76mm MAF, CAI, raised top, 94/95 SC, full exhaust w/ported manifolds, 255 fP, stock injectors, 3:73's (1000 pound foot & lightening speed shifts)

Will these mods work togehter.

Will this work with the stock cam

Do I need a tuner with these upgrades. ( I hope not)

Can I use my stock IC with one of Mikes aluminum radiators and just add a fan.

Can I use the 70mm TB and a 76mm MAF with the stock injectors and the after market heads. will the stock injectors be enuff.

Thanks for all of the help, I have to get started now, I think I blew the radiator cash in the stripclub last night. Some how when some one once said the SC cost a lot, it wasn't intended to mean Strip Club

Mike8675309 said:
I'd also hold off on the front mount intercooler unless you can get a deal on one. That much money can benefit elsewhere. At least wait and see what's available from others after you get the head work done. The SC market is really moving forward and I think the bleeding edge is going to be stablizing over this summer.

I think your going to need to upgrade the injectors to at least 38#. You might to be able to find 42s cheaper, so decide on the injector size before buying the MAF. C&L maf will cost the same no matter what injector size you go with.

David

If you stick with a stock cam make sure you at least get a mild port job on the heads with the stock size valve..If your not going to go for the All out heads definately at least get something done to em....There is alot of power in the head work (port match lower intake to heads)

If your going to go with a 94/95 SC Ya may want to go with a port job on it and perhaps an MP inlet..That is if yer staying with that setup.

And Lightweight Underdrive pulleys.

YA can also go for a double IC..Two stock cores welded together

Also if you want to wait awhile on the blower upgrades..I may have a ported and rebuilt 94 SC, SCP raised top..MP inlet, 42lb injectors, 80mm C&L Mass air
85mm TB 10 rib belt setup, quick change blower pulley setup and Spearco factory mounted IC with fan for sale. Also a ported lower intake with thermal barrier coatings and flow coatings....May be selling ina month or two...Just in case you wante dto hold off on the blower upgrades.

Back