Air Bleed Bolt

91CaliTBIRD

I recently recored my radiator after learning it was rotted. I had a leak and the radiator shop said i need a new core...so anyways it doesnt seem to leek but it does seem to run a little warmer then before. After i added 50% Prestone and 50% water i realized i didnt bleed the system. Do i do that by just removing the air bleeder bolt and starting the car or while the car is off? Another weird thing that happened a couple days after installing the radiator the car got really hot for no real reason, my overflow bottle over filled and spilled out so much coolant that the next day the reservoir was empty and the radiator even needed some more coolent. That was about 2 weeks ago and it doesnt seem to have lost any water at all since just gets a little to warm. Whats the best way to bleed the radiator? THANKS

You can open that bolt just so it's open. Then idle the vehicle until coolant starts to spray out. You may want to wrap a towel around it to keep it from spraying everywhere. Then tighten the bolt down.

Then let the engine cool, jack up the front a bit and run the motor for a little while to make sure the coolant is circulating and letting any air out of the system.

The stock gauges don't always read all that accurately.

Don't Believe Overflow Reservoir!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

91CaliTBIRD said:
..........my overflow bottle over filled and spilled out so much coolant that the next day the reservoir was empty and the radiator even needed some more coolent.
never, Never, NEVER trust the coolant resevoir!!!!!!!!!!!! I blew my HG's twice, & both times sucked the radiator DRY!!!!!!!!!! Both times the coolant reservoir was FULL!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh Yeah, both times my engine was saved by Slick 50!!!!!!!! No coolant, engine eventually shut down due to heat, NO DAMAGE to the crank, main, or rod bearings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Slick 50 made a believer outa me. I use it EVERY oil change.

68COUGAR

Thanks Mike, and ok BLKSC i wont..lol. Yea i know to pop the cap off every now and again just to make sure. Thanks guys

Back