Rebuilding ... everything.

SCownerIL

I've already had the block hot-tanked, decked, bored, ordered new pistons and gasket sets, taken the heads in for port & polish, ground the guides, new exhaust valves, rebuilt the transmission, had the crank polished, got new bearings for that ... and there's still so much to do. Namely putting the parts back in. I'm planning on gutting the cats, repainting the car, hooking up a new stereo, etc. One question is still unanswered: if I go for the smaller blower pulley and larger alternater pulley, what is still comfortable for a stereo system? The unit itself is a Mosfet 50x4 CD/MP3 deck. I think I've invested more than I purchased the car for in the first place ($1239) lol. At least if all goes well, it'll run for many years.

What other mods do you guys suggest? Pretty much everything is stock. Still real nice condition though. Thanks for any help.

(Pretty sure all listed above is what was done. Might be off on the wording of some of the stuff.)

Almost forgot - driver side motor mount had to be replaced, radiator needs that too. Converting A/C unit to R134 from R12. 1990 TBird with 103k miles ... I think that's everything else.

Last edited:
How much is this costing you? I have a 90SC with 66k miles on it and I'm going to start saving for the dreaded head gasket failure which I expect around 100k miles.

SC90_Pete said:
How much is this costing you? I have a 90SC with 66k miles on it and I'm going to start saving for the dreaded head gasket failure which I expect around 100k miles.

Everything done to the block, crank, gasket set, and pistons cost around $900. Having the heads done cost around $300. And yes, it seems that 100k is the magic number for SCs. My friend's tranny burnt out the same week that mine did. And not all of the stuff I did to mine needed to be done, it's just that we wanted to make sure that there would be no problems for a long time.

Back