who has cat back system

jwhit

i now own my first super coupe a stock 1990 . i need some help finding where to buy parts ?? the first thing i want to change is stock pipe and mufflers .who makes best sounding and fitting???

jwhit said:
i now own my first super coupe a stock 1990 . i need some help finding where to buy parts ?? the first thing i want to change is stock pipe and mufflers .who makes best sounding and fitting???
....many opinions on this but alot of the members like the Magnaflow resonator and your choice of mufflers with 2 1/2"-3"-2 1/2" pipes running from the cats back.The driver's side cat has a 90* bend from the exhaust header causing a restrictive flow area,if you can afford to add down tubes and just replace the cats then open up the pipes you'll realize the best benefits....."hi-flo" cats..if they really exist, can be purchased online pretty cheap or you can sometimes find them locally for $65-$75 each....where in NC are you?
z

mufflers ect

z90sc said:
....many opinions on this but alot of the members like the Magnaflow resonator and your choice of mufflers with 2 1/2"-3"-2 1/2" pipes running from the cats back.The driver's side cat has a 90* bend from the exhaust header causing a restrictive flow area,if you can afford to add down tubes and just replace the cats then open up the pipes you'll realize the best benefits....."hi-flo" cats..if they really exist, can be purchased online pretty cheap or you can sometimes find them locally for $65-$75 each....where in NC are you?
z
im in knightdale which is close to raleigh , i wont be able to do cats riht now but i would like for it to sound like a real car ! how about shorty headers?? also the only cat back kit i could find was from flowmaster . what happens if i dont run resonator
thanks jeff

...actually you can have a local shop do a system for you,some folks like the flowmasters....I don't particularly care for them but that's just me,you may feel different....these cars tend to sound "tinny" with no resonator...as for headers,Kooks makes them for the SC and they cost $$$$,you can also use Mustang v6 headers..can't remember which years,do a search and you'll find the answer but they require modification to fit around the steering shaft.Check www.supercoupeperformance.com for performance parts including a cat-back system....you can get some good ideas from there,I took a pic of the system on there and had my local exhaust shop make it for me.
z

My 95 has ported stock manifolds, two 2.5's to a single 3" to two DYNOMAX mufflers. It sounds good, and breathes very well.
Tom

NorthrnSCownr said:
My 95 has ported stock manifolds, two 2.5's to a single 3" to two DYNOMAX mufflers. It sounds good, and breathes very well.
Tom
did you use resonator?? i asume you ran 2.5 from manifoilds? how about cats?

jwhit said:
im in knightdale which is close to raleigh , i wont be able to do cats riht now but i would like for it to sound like a real car ! how about shorty headers?? also the only cat back kit i could find was from flowmaster . what happens if i dont run resonator
thanks jeff
It will probably sound pretty yucky. By all means, use a resonator if you're concerned at all with tone.

The exhaust system on my '94 5spd:

ported factory manifolds
2.25 dragpipes
dual 2.25/single 3 Magnaflow
3 under the fuel tank
3 x dual 2.5 Y-chamber
2.5 to the mufflers
2.5 Flowmaster 40 series mufflers
slash-cut chrome turndown tips

Others have listened to it and were kinda struck by the tone, they really like it. I think my Flowmasters might be on their way out though, slight rattle possibly due to busted/rusted internal welds.

By the way, here's a pic of the 3x2.5 split I used. Made installation very easy.

'bird

magypipe4556b.jpg

I went with basically the same set up with the exception of using one 80 series flow master transverse muffler ,for those who don't know,It sounded pretty good until I blew the baffles out with the additional boost from the 10% pulley on her! I think I'll go with the magna flow transverse next .

Back