Oil in the coolant!!!

Wolfs_Rain

This morning I noticed I have oil in my coolant reservoir. I pulled the engine dip stick and there is no coolant in the oil. I also pulled the tranny dip stick and there is no coolant in there. The car still has good oil pressure and doesn’t over heat and does not have smoke coming out of the exhaust. Does this sound like head gaskets, or maybe a bad radiator. By the way the car only has 50,000 miles on it. Thanks to all that help.

It's likely either a blown headgasket or a bad oil cooler. From what you described, I'd bet that the factory oil cooler has failed and is letting oil into the coolant.

-Rod

racecougar said:
It's likely either a blown headgasket or a bad oil cooler. From what you described, I'd bet that the factory oil cooler has failed and is letting oil into the coolant.

-Rod
I agree, although it could also be the intake gasket. Check for oil leaks around the intake, too. Check your plugs to see if there's any fouling, that will tell you if it's a head gasket. If they're the factory pieces, it's much more likely than if they've been replaced by decent ones that actually stick to aluminum.

Whoops, sorry, for misguiding you, but if your plugs aren't fouled at all, you could still have a blown head gasket, just not a terribly blown one.

what if you have the opposite say you have coolant in your oil. I let out most of my oil and saw no coolant. Then i put the bolt back in and let it sit for a day. The next day i went to let out and little bit of oil that was still in the car and a stream of oil came out i notice some coolant with it. Im thinking intake gasket but could it be anything else? How hard is it to replace the intake gasket?

Back