Headlamp switch upgrade question.

atreuh8

Hi!,

I decided to upgrade the dashboard for my Tbird from a ‘93 to a ’94 dashboard. A lot of issues found in the process of replacing this thing are being solved by looking for comments already posted on this forum. However I haven’t find enough info about how to upgrade from the ’93 pull style headlamp switch to the ’94 headlamp & dimmer (separate) switch. My question is about the wiring on the newer harness.

By far, this is what I have done:
(I’m using the ’93 wiring on the ’94 dashboard)
First, I swapped the matching colored wires from the old headlamp switch harness to the newer one, some of these wires didn't match on the headlamp switch but DID match for some wires on the newer dimmer switch harness. At the end, I ran out of wires from the older headlamp switch harness but I still have several wires to be connected on the newer headlamp and the dimmer switch that didn't have a match.

Does anyone know the right way to connect the ’94 headlamp switch using a ’93 wiring?

Thanks.
Sergio.
Tbird ’93, LX, Auto.

with the use of wiring diagrams from both years. Check the hilton's book or haynes manual for those cars out of your local library and have a look at the wire colors, Chances are there are extra grounds on one or the other harness and the colors may have changed slightly. I'll check it out and let you know as I'd like to do this swap myself.

I got the manual (don't remember if it's hilton or haynes), I'm going to take a look to see if I find something, however, those manuals are not so detailed about specific issues.

I'm going to be looking forward to see how you did it.

Thanks.

Helms makes great wiring diagrams for these cars. I've always used them for the swaps that I've done (3.8L splitport into 94 LX, 4.6L DOHC into 90 XR7, 97 dash into 90 XR7, etc). They'll help you out alot.

-Rod

New Helms manuals (original Ford manuals) are here: www.helminc.com

They have the big shop manual as well as the EVTM (Electrical, Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual) and full page wiring diagrams. The EVTM or the diagrams are what you want.

Many times you can find those items on Ebay for less than new. You can also get the manuals on CD Rom, but those CDs only started in 92, so if you need an early wiring diagram, you'll need to find the paper.

Back