getting engine codes

John Valerioti

My 90 SC is giving me fits, Sometimes, usually after it rains, I can't get the engine to start, it just cranks. Some of you have suggested either the cam or crank sensor. Then suddenly the next day it will start as if nothing is wrong. I have not changed either sensor as of yet. Then next problem is in the starting of the car itself. I can turn the key to start it..and IF it starts, the starter stays engauged for up to a minute.then releases...during that time, you can not shut the car off even if you return the key to the off position. I'm thinking it's the key switch itself. I changed the solinoid but that did not cure it. Before I guess wrong again and change either the key switch or the starter itself..I'd like to see if there are any stored codes in the computer module that will help me ..I have the shop manual, but can't seem to find out how to get the codes...please help ! :confused:

You can take the car to Autozone and they'll pull the codes for you.

I use a paper clip, pad and pencil to pull codes. It takes a few tries to understand the sequence of flashes, but it works. I'll see if I can locate the procedure later for you.

TbirdSCFan said:
You can take the car to Autozone and they'll pull the codes for you.

I use a paper clip, pad and pencil to pull codes. It takes a few tries to understand the sequence of flashes, but it works. I'll see if I can locate the procedure later for you.
Thanks...I dont have an Auto one near me...you would think the procedure is in the Ford Shop Manual..but I can't find it in there..unless i'm just not seeing it.

Back