TIRES....Cooper ZEON 2XS

cudaz101

I was just looking at these tires...I know little about them since there seems to be little information as far as feedback reports and such.

They look great and have all of the sizes that most of us use on our cars...Anyways...Thoughts and comments?

Treadwear is 280 "Common for a sticky Z-Rated Tire"
zeon2XS.jpg

Brad

XR7 Dave said:
Why does that look so much like a Falken. :)

Yea...So much like, or exactly like...I never noticed the likeness until now. I am not very familiar with the Falken, although I have had them and liked them "Differant tire style"...

I did notice that they HPZ looks identical to Kelly's HPT Tire...I do run this tire, right now infact and really like it...But I have seen the exact tread pattern on 2 other brands now...Craziness....

SO do you run the Falken then Dave?

Brad

XR7 Dave said:
Why does that look so much like a Falken. :)

While we are at it, which one of these is the $160 Hankook and which one is the $250 Michelin? :D

hanhz3.l.jpg

mmihzc.l.jpg

Attachments

• tire one.jpg
    tire one.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 62
  • tire two.jpg
    tire two.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
I just happen to have some sitting here and I thought, hey those look identical.

Actually there are two things going on. In some cases the different cheaper brands may or may not be made by the same company, and the other is that tread design is simply very popular right now.

Personally I chose tires based not so much on tread pattern as I do based on carcass design, rubber compunds, tread pattern consistency (with wear) and the company's reputation. For example, you cannot go wrong with Michelin if you can afford it. :D

I've never liked Cooper tires because they used to make all the cheap tires for NTB when I worked there and I saw the combacks and IMO Cooper tires suck (or at least they did). Can't say anything about the newer ones, but that was my experience with the older ones.

I never liked Pirelli's either.

Dunlops were ok but I would never put them on my car if that means anything. Something about the fact that we sold them at darn near 100% markup.... Goodyear is worse. Anyone ever wonder why so many OE cars come (or at least used to) with Goodyears? Let me tell you it wasn't because of uncompromising quality. LOL

BFG has come a LONG way since Michelin bought them. I really like the ones I have currently and would buy again. BFG rules in truck tires also.

But I'm rambling now...... :cool:

I agree in regards to GoodYear...I have never been much of an adcovate of them or their product. They do make a great tire for just about anything but the prices are nuts even at a shops cost depending obviously on how you are hooked up with them. They will pinch their own dealers to line their pockets...It makes little sense in any perspective related to business or business ethics. Michelin is guilty of the same thing. They were hurting their own dealers by undercutting them with the use of their own dealers competitors. Example...Cosco "in the earlier days when they initially got hooked up with Michelin" was able to sell a tire retail for less than a dealer could buy them at cost from Michelin. That alone IMO is plain filth and it makes the Tire dealers look like they are scalping their customers. Although they do produce a great tire for many appications be it Farm, Truck, or performance...

Firestone, Uniroyal and a few other brandX tires are pretty much on my NO WAY list....I won;t even get into why after scrolling up a bit in my reply...I am now rambling as well...

Brad

cudaz101 said:
I agree in regards to GoodYear...I have never been much of an adcovate of them or their product. They do make a great tire for just about anything but the prices are nuts even at a shops cost depending obviously on how you are hooked up with them. They will pinch their own dealers to line their pockets...It makes little sense in any perspective related to business or business ethics. Michelin is guilty of the same thing. They were hurting their own dealers by undercutting them with the use of their own dealers competitors. Example...Cosco "in the earlier days when they initially got hooked up with Michelin" was able to sell a tire retail for less than a dealer could buy them at cost from Michelin. That alone IMO is plain filth and it makes the Tire dealers look like they are scalping their customers. Although they do produce a great tire for many appications be it Farm, Truck, or performance...

Firestone, Uniroyal and a few other brandX tires are pretty much on my NO WAY list....I won;t even get into why after scrolling up a bit in my reply...I am now rambling as well...

Brad

Actually BFG was a division of Uniroyal. Too bad BFG made better tires than Uniroyal did. LOL Do they even offer the Uniroyal name anymore??? Now BFG's have a lot more in common with Michelins (as far as carcass design etc) than they ever did with Uniroyal.

Actually, Costco and Sams paid about the same price as we did at NTW. We would price match them all day long. Of course NTW is owned by Sears so you see where that is heading..... I think the truth is that Michelin tires simply cost more than others. Michelin refused to cut quality to meet the requirements of the OE market which is why their tires are always better. I've never seen a clamshell molded Michelin, they pioneered the segment mold not to mention the actual rubber formulation that they use being more expensive. Only in recent years have customers shown enough loyalty to Michelin tires that the OE's have been forced to use them on better cars. I think Michelin's marketing strategy has paid off well.

Michelins' also often got poor reviews in tire tests and this was primarily because when new the tires do not perform as well as Dunlops or Goodyears. What the tire testers never took into account was the fact that all Michelin's have FULL tread depth sipes in the tread pattern. Take one of those "great handling Goodyears or Dunlops" and wear half the tread off of them and try the test again. The Michelins would whup hard on them at that point. Michelin's are known for having consistant traction for the life of the tires. Goodyear was only worried about the first 12K miles (OE mentality). I recently put 110K miles on a set of Michelin truck tires and they still show a full tread pattern. Many cheaper tires will show loss of tread detail after as little as 10K miles. Loss of tread pattern = severe loss of wet weather handling.

Ok, I couldn't resist more rambling......lol

Back