On/around NOB?

doodaa

Looks like I'll be traveling there for training at the end of the month... It's been a few years since I was there but I haven't forgotten the zoo that is base traffic and I'd rather not deal with it any more than I need to. I'd prefer to stay on Willoughby Spit but I recall it as mostly residential. Are there any hotels in the Shore Drive area these days that are decent? How's traffic on the HRBT to and from the Peninsula?

Hey doodaa,

Well, Willoughby Spit (Ocean View) is still primarily residential and is getting quite a makeover especially on the east end of Ocean View Ave. They're tearing down comdemned and crappy, ghetto businesses and houses and putting up $500,000 and upwards to $1 million condos, houses, nice beachfront property, landscaping. I know there is an Econolodge on E. Ocean View. But, not a whole lot for hotels. Same w/ shore drive, that I can think off. Mostly residential. I know when you get more into Va. Beach there is the Virginia Beach Resort Hotel, but that's a 3 star joint (Shore Dr and Great Neck Rd). There are some other Econo lodge type places.

The HRBT- Typical interstate stuff. Rush hour sucks. Generally expect 1/2 delay or so. The non-peak times you can usually zip right through.

I know I'm not giving to much solid info, but that's what I have for now.

I hope it helps,
Metalman

Finding an affordable hotel room around here in the summer isn't easy...many tourist.....even the "cheap hotels" get expensive.If you are going to be training at NOB why isn't the Navy providing accomodations for you?Check out Hotels.com or Sidestep.com.....you can get hotel info from those sites....let us know when you're going to be in the area.
z

I'm only going to be there two days so it won't be anything I can't stand, just trying to make the best of it. I grew up on the Peninsula and lived Southside for a couple years, one of the main reasons I moved is I hate traffic. I'm not terribly worried about affordable since Uncle reimburses, more about getting to an 8 o'clock class on time without leaving at 4 am. I'm hoping there won't be any space in the BEQ and I'd rather stay at that ragtag Econolodge than in the BOQ... ;) Right now I'm thinking one of those places over near the Coliseum would be just as good as, or maybe better than, downton Norfolk. Is the traffic coming in from 44/264 any better than the HR bridge tunnel?

If your in southside, stay in southside. You don't want to travel HRBT unless you have to. There are plenty of great hotels in Norfolk-downtown, Military Circle, and there's that Econolodge on East Ocean View :) And then in Va. Beach of course.

Check out the city websites. http://www.norfolk.gov and http://www.vbgov.com

Hope it helps.

Metalman

Well, let's see...

1. Downtown hotel = Hampton Blvd or 264 > 64 > Taussig. LOTS of people going that way. More than the tunnel and sneaking into one of the gates off Granby St?

2. Military Circle = random sporadic gunfire iirc from the news on my last few visits home. I lived off Military Hwy near the Dodge dealer for a couple years, never cared for the neighborhood. There is a Residence Inn near the Airport according to Marriott web site... noisy I'd wager.

3. East Ocean View = eeeeeeeeh, I'm going to need to see this "urbane renewal" before I believe it.

4. Va Bch = too early to get up and fight all that into the base. See 1 above.

I guess the HRBT must be getting pretty bad if it's a worse option than all those... :confused:

Back