Nationals? Who's going??

I'm hoping to go. It would be a shame to miss it with it being held so close (within 12 hours of driving for once).

I think the wife, kid and I are going. Most likely we will head out from hear early Friday morning(1-3AM) so Makayla will not have to ride awake for most of the trip, and I guess stay through Monday(?).

Tim, you think you got enough time to get that thing buttoned up and work out any possible bugs before Nationals? I know you may have already mentioned this, but are you putting any modifications into it in the process?

Me too, I guess I need to make a commitment here and make my hotel reservation. I'll go up Fri evening after work.

Jason, I hope to have it ready by then. Rick's going to do the work for me, hopefully starting next weekend. It spun a rod bearing, so I hoping it didn't mess up the crank. I am wanting to do a cam maybe RR, I know a new clutch and maybe a lightweight flywheel. I need to do some exhaust work on it, but that not part of a "rebuild" that I could replace in the process. ;)

Most of my want mod list will mostly be determined what the cost of the rebuild will cost, if the crank needs to be fixed like Mike did his. Boy how undeceided can one person be?

Well, looks like I'm out for the Nationals. $$ is tight for one, plus, I get the feeling that it's not going to be that big.

We definately need to try to do a meet like the Chattanooga meets some time later this year. Maybe sometime in the fall, when it's not too hot, not too cold.

Dan,
Where have you been looking to think that is not going to be that big? I really havent been keeping up with the details of the event like I should be. Are you sensing a lack of intrest, poor planning, or something else like that?

Jason Parham said:
Are you sensing a lack of intrest, poor planning, or something else like that?

A little from column A, a little from column B.

The only things that I can find with any kind of info are the 2 posts on TCCoA (http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30131 and http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41603), and then the little bit of info that is on mn12nationals.com website.

I kinda get the impression that they just want people to show up and then plan what to do spontaneously. That may work for a small group (like we've done before), but to do this on a national level requires some better planning and a schedule of events, etc. The only "schedule of events" that I've even seen for this thing is just that list of fourms on the mn12nationals.com website that say "We are trying to get this event to happen" and "more info later". This thing is like 6 weeks away, and there still isn't a clear plan as to what's happening. So I really don't want to fork over $150 for a hotel room with out knowing what is in store.

Plus, the whole idea of this thing being held at a golf resort sounds a little to "hoidy toidy" for me. This place has a dress code, for cryin' out loud! So I think that the decorum of this place would prohibit any of the wild behavior that groups like us would participate in (ie mooning poolside for a photo op, burn-outs in the parking lot, etc).

If I were doing it, I would have it at some roadside sleaze-hole roach motel (OK, maybe not quite that sleazy....) close to a race track where the night manager doesn't give a $h!+ what you do in their parking lot as long as he doesn't get robbed at gunpoint. Plus, when it comes time for the car show, you get all kinds of passers by coming to see what all the fuss is about. From the way it sounds, this resort place is out in the middle of nowhere.

Also, I think that a lot of the people from the SC side are skipping this thing in favor of the SC Shootout thing up in OH in Oct.

I hate to be negative and pessamistic about this, and I know I'm not helping the whole participation thing by bailing on it, but this is just my gut feeling. I hope they do have a great turnout and a good event and prove me wrong!

I'm also thinking about the whole $$ situation. We're trying to save everything we can so we can get out of this "throw our money away" apartment and buy a house sometime next year. So I don't know if it would be prudent for me to drop a buck-fiddy and then some on this shin-dig.

I mentioned to Mike that maybe next year, the SCCoSE volunteer to plan a national meet...maybe somewhere like Memphis, that's accessible to many parts of the US. Kinda like the old SCCoSW did with the first meet. Burn-outs, butts, and a bathtub full o' beer! Just a thought.

Holy crap a dress code?!?!?! I need to check this out...

BTW if your interested in a sleezy roach motel I'm sure that Econo Lodge over on East Ridge would be available (that one we stayed at the '02 Chattanooga meet) :p . I mean heck, you got A/C units that sound like pulpwood trcuks cranking up on a cold morning, worn out mattresses, crazy guys knocking on doors looking for their wives and everything. What more could you ask for? :D

A blood stain and a chalk outline on the floor would add a "homey" touch.

Yeah, there is some thing that I read that said there was a dress code for the hotel's restaurant, meeting facilities, and the golf course, (of course). I'm not sure if it applied to other public areas of the hotel.

Heres a quote from Bill Wheeler:

"I would suggest nobody asking about dress code again. They NEVER said to me that there would be one. When we get there for the weekend and have the vast majority of the place to ourselves, they're not going to tell us what we can and can't wear I don't believe."

Besides it seems the code only will apply to the golf course, dining hall and meeting area (like I'm really gonna be at the golf course anyway...). Not sure how the turnout will be, but I wonder if just going to see the clash of culture will almost be worth the trip alone. Just to let you know, I remember in '02 at Elkhart being woken up at 2am to hear one of the cars (that apparently had a built V8 in it by the sound) hitting the rev-limiter doing burnouts in the parking lot. I'm not saying thats gonna happen here, but I'm expecting the clash of uppity golf dorks and our bunch should make a very interesting scene at the very least.

Just so you guys know, there IS a full schedule of events posted on both my site and the MN12 Nationals site. We've also removed the registration requirement on the Nats site so guests can post questions or comments as well.

I also posted up a link to the registrations. We have sponsors on board and raffle prizes on the way. We'd of course like to see more, but we'll be ok with whatever we get.

BTW, planning for the 2005 meet will start in October with a MN12 Nationals Committee of both TCCoA and SCCoA people. It will be the best nationals event in history. :)

sc shootout

leveing from nashville to go the sc shootout thursday morning, plan on driving my sc there and back, have stock car that i drive every day, i just hop i dont have any probls, like to know if there is any other sc ner by that are living at the same time, that i might tag along with,

Back