Car won't start after installing new dashboard

metalman

The car cranks, but now start. I believe it's not getting fuel...I don't hear the fuel pump buzzing, and very little fuel pressure.

For background: The dashboard I installed had auto-dim lights, premium sound sys, motorized antennae, my car does does not. So, I had to switch out the wiring of the premium sound and replace it w/ my standard sound system harnesses. I kept the auto-dim and motorized ant. Both of those work. I haven't hooked up my Sony cd player yet.

I do have one major concern in the wiring. If you were to take out the center console...at the point where it screws into the dash board at the tranny hump, there is a harness/plug. The wires look like they go into the tranny, they disappear in the hump. WHAT IS THAT? Does anybody know what each wire does? Have a diagram?

Because, the dashboard I put in had different connections there, that my car does. So I tried to mix and match the wiring from both dashed to get what I needed. I seemed to figure out everything except what the Grey/yellow wire is and why is spliced into the Red/blue wire that goes into the blue plug near the computer.

For the love of God, can some one help! :confused: :eek: :confused:

Metalman

Anthony,man,that's a bite isn't it...bet the dash looks great though.Check the simple things first,fuses...also even though you weren't "under the hood" per se,make sure all is ok under there [crank sensor/balancer,etc.],check the fuel pump cut-off in the trunk and make sure it wasn't accidently triggered,if you can,run a fuel pressure check.....also make sure the ignition switch is ok and wasn't broken when you dropped the steering shaft for the install.....you'll find the problem....I'm sure others on here will give more suggestions.
Good Luck,
z

I KNOW that there is at least a neutral start switch wire in that harness... there may be power for the fuel pump, also, but I'm not sure. With that unplugged, my stock 3.8 auto won't even crank.

thebigslide said:
I KNOW that there is at least a neutral start switch wire in that harness... there may be power for the fuel pump, also, but I'm not sure. With that unplugged, my stock 3.8 auto won't even crank.

Yea, mine won't either. But, it's cranking like it wants to start, just no vroom. I'm still looking for answers.

Hate to say it, my dad and I ran into that same problem in his 94. We bought it wrecked, had to replace the dash because when the passenger airbag popped, cracked the dash. The dash we got was from an LX - everything from the front of the car back to the firewall worked - nothing behind the firewall.

What we ended up having to do was put the original wiring harness from the old dash into the new dash that we got.

-Andy "Melon"

dump a few tablespoons of rubbing alchohol down the intake and try starting it to see if fuel is your problem. (the car will sputter for a few sec.s if it is) If it is, I'll bet on a fuel pump wire of some sort in that harness. You might have to go to a dealership and get a copy of the wiring diagram for both dash harnesses (eek).

The harness in the middle by the center console that disappears into the floor has the wiring for the tranny. Speed sensor, park/reverse, and neutral safety also. The fuel pump wiring goes through the rear passenger side between the end of the door frame, and the fuel filler. Somewhere abouts that area anyway. I remember checkin all those different wiring bundles when I removed my interior for a good cleaning.

I really believe it is fuel. Because, I have power, it cranks, I have spark, and air. I'm not hearing the fuel pump buzz, and their was practically no fuel pres. I have to actually check the fuel press w/ a guage tomorrow though.

Would Helm provide a good diagram for me?

Thank you, guys.

Metalman

Back