Engine Problems

kenewagner

Took my 93 into the ford dealer yesterday to see if they could figure out why it wont idle. They say the Mass air sensor has gone bad and the injectors sound hollow what ever that means. I need some input from you guys, will a MAS go bad just like that. I also had them check why the ABS light is always on. They say is a sensor on the right front wheel. All together they want $900.00 of my money to fix it all. I plan to repair it my self. In the future I wanted to ungrade Mas, TB, & injectors but for now I wanted to spend my green on a new paint job

Mass air sensors can go bad, but that's a lot of money for the whole job. Replacing the injectors is the most time consuming part of the job, and that should take 3 or 4 hours maybe (book time) Go to a wrecker and get the MAF sensor at least to do yourself as it's a 5 minute job. I would unplug the ABS light and call that job done too, but that, of course, is personal preference. Try cleaning the injectors. I'm willing to bet the car will run well enough with a new MAF sensor if they said that was bad. Replace the injectors if the car pings, misses or stumbles at any speed once you get it idling again.

Ken,
I can help out with the ABS sensor...I've got a couple extras since I'm changing spindles...Then you can help me out with my SC rebuild and porting... ;) And the MAF can go bad. If that is the case, then go with an aftermarket one. The injectors may sound "hollow" because the MAF is bad. Fix the MAF first, then you can tell if the injectors are bad. I'd go with a C&L unit since you can get replacement sampling tubes for different size injectors. Then you can still save your $$ for the paint. I'm hoping to get to my suspension in the very near future, so the sensors can be used, as long as we don't break them while removing them.

You might try cleaning the MAF with throttle body cleaner to see if that helps. Do you have a K&N on there? If so, you can get too much oil sometimes and that can get onto the MAF, causing it to act as if it were bad. Just a thought.

Edit: and to go along with bigslide, try running a can of BG 44K through the fuel system. That will clean all fuel related components in addition to a little more. I can pick up a can for you if you can't locate it around there...although you've got better availibility on most things than we do here in Lincoln.

And to go along with bigsl

Last edited:
Hey Ken - If you want to try another MAF to see how the car reacts, I've got my stock 55mm laying around, or if you really want to - we can pull my Pro-M 75mm off mine and put it on yours to see what it does.

Let me know

-Andy "Melon"

007_SuperCoupe said:
Ken,
I can help out with the ABS sensor...I've got a couple extras since I'm changing spindles...Then you can help me out with my SC rebuild and porting... ;) And the MAF can go bad. If that is the case, then go with an aftermarket one. The injectors may sound "hollow" because the MAF is bad. Fix the MAF first, then you can tell if the injectors are bad. I'd go with a C&L unit since you can get replacement sampling tubes for different size injectors. Then you can still save your $$ for the paint. I'm hoping to get to my suspension in the very near future, so the sensors can be used, as long as we don't break them while removing them.

You might try cleaning the MAF with throttle body cleaner to see if that helps. Do you have a K&N on there? If so, you can get too much oil sometimes and that can get onto the MAF, causing it to act as if it were bad. Just a thought.

Edit: and to go along with bigslide, try running a can of BG 44K through the fuel system. That will clean all fuel related components in addition to a little more. I can pick up a can for you if you can't locate it around there...although you've got better availibility on most things than we do here in Lincoln.

And to go along with bigsl

I will take you up on the wheel sensor. I have a K&N filter but it is ok. I sell Lucas products so I will try some of thei injector cleaner. Thanks for the help

Last edited:
Melon said:
Hey Ken - If you want to try another MAF to see how the car reacts, I've got my stock 55mm laying around, or if you really want to - we can pull my Pro-M 75mm off mine and put it on yours to see what it does.

Let me know

-Andy "Melon"

That would be great Andy. Anytime would work for me. I appriciate the offer :D

I'll bring down the MAF that was on my 'Bird.. and was originally on Sam's 89 :D It's the MAF that gets around haha

I talked to Sam a few days ago and he mentioned about trying to get up your way on the 11th (this sunday) If that works, I'll swing down after work since I've got something for Sam as well. Most late afternoon and evenings work for me. I'll be in Omaha on Friday for a meeting at work, but not sure what time I'm getting done. Otherwise, I'm pretty open except for Saturday.

-Andy "Melon"

Back