Water out the tailpipe...

TheSurveyor

Ok, so here's the scenario:

Driving along and everything's fine. Stop at a red light and then start to accelerate. 1st and 2nd gear run like normal. 3rd and 4th however make the car sound like it's "dieseling". I look down at the temp gauge and I notice it begins to climb up from the "O" in NORM. I continue and realize that it's not going to stop so I pull over. Upon inspection, I realize that the lower radiator hose is busted. I duck tape it (for a quick fix) fill up the coolant, and drive home (5 minutes, 30 mph) and the temp gauge doesn't get past "R" in NORM.

I replace the hose and fill up the coolant. Take it for a test drive, and everything's fine. I even tried to get it hot (holding down the brake and revving at about 1800rpm), still at the "R" in NORM.

Next day I take the same route and have the same problem at the same spot! This time however, along with the "dieseling", white smoke comes out the tailpipe. Same symptoms as before. I pull over, but this time, no busted hoses. I check the coolant, and it seems low. I end up putting a little OVER a gallon of water in the radiator (there's non in the reservoir). Now realize that I TOTALLY filled up the radiator after I changed the hose. Anyway, the car is hard to crank but finally starts up. It runs REALLY rough and there is a very slow but constant flow of COOLANT (I know because it's partially green and sweet smelling due to antifreeze) coming from the TAILPIPE! What could this possibly be? Blown head gasket? Cracked block?

PS -- I checked the oil when the hose broke and it was perfect. After the second time however, there seemed to be more (about 3/4" on the dipstick) oil then before (however I had not added any). Could water be mixing with the oil? Both times (and right now) the oil is dark dark brown (like it always is) NOT milky like I've heard it is if the water mixes with the oil.

Any help would be appreciated.

1991 SC Automatic
Bone Stock

Thanks,
WILLIE

Willie,

Sounds like a head gasket to me. Drain the oil and see what comes out. If coolant has mixed with the oil due to a blown head gasket, it should show up in the drain pan.

Other than that, it has the same symptoms mine had when they blew. The smoke, and coolant out the exhaust, hard starting and rough idle and high temp. You don't want to drive it anymore if it is te head gasket. If the coolant made it in the oil pan and got on the crank bearings, you'll be looking at a near total rebuild.

There are plenty of posts and info on here. Do a search and see what you come up with. Good luck!

David

How many miles are on the car? Sounds like a blown head gasket to me.

I'll fix it for you for $500.00 plus machine work ($60.00) plus parts ($200). Where are you located?

I concur with the blown HG diagnosis. Check you rad for bubbles while the engine's running with the engine warm as it sounds like you've ruptured btw the cylinder and a water jacket.

Don't drive it because of the water in the oil, it washes oil off the main and rod bearings and in turn you can damage the bottom end of the engine badly. Ever hear the term "spun bearing".

Scott Long said:
Don't drive it because of the water in the oil, it washes oil off the main and rod bearings and in turn you can damage the bottom end of the engine badly. Ever hear the term "spun bearing".

Bah, you can drive it as long as it's not knocking. The oil/coolant mixture is corrosive but it's nearly as damaging sitting on your bearings and crank and pistons as it is running. You can drive it, but I wouldn't go far, in other words. You won't spin a bearing until it's been knocking for awhile.

i say you just fix the head gasket, dont drive it anymore. To get the remaining mixed coolant and oil i suggest you first fix the head gasket, then u dump about a half a gallon if DIESEL into the OIL fill cap, and run the car for about a minute or 2, then drain it, and u pour in the 5 quarts of oil and run it for about 10-15 minutes and drain that too, and pour in the final 5 quarts of oil. Hope it helps!

Back