FREEZE 12 has any body used it

I don't know about the claims that are made. Ive read where study's have shown that freeze-12 isn't as good as the r12, or in some cases, not as good as r134a. Then, you have others who rave that its great! Who you gonna believe?

I'll see if I can locate some info.

I found out that freeze12 is actually a blend of 80% R134a, and 20% 142b. That's why the can of oil in the kit. Mineral oil isn't carried by it (just as r134) so the oil is probably an ester oil. Without having tried it, my hunch is it won't work as good as stated.

Here's one discussion:
http://www.aircondition.com/wwwboard/alternative/current/7835.html
and the 1st reply:
http://www.aircondition.com/wwwboard/alternative/current/7857.html

my friend was taking his car to a mechanic and they said that the freeze 12 blows, and that they won't take a car that has had it put in, because there's never any telling what you ACTUALLY have in the can, so they won't recover it.

Freeze 12 will require the same work to convert as R134a. If they tell you otherwise they are wrong.

It is made up of R134a and other mixtures. But it's the R134a that requires the evacuate, clean out, and recharge. R134a requires Ester or Pag oil. Most R12 systems have mineral oil in them. Mineral oil mixed with R134a will not lubricate the compressor.

Check groups.google.com searching on Freeze 12 and you'll find lots of information on it and other R12 replacements.

Last edited:
The reasoning behind Freeze is that its compatable with old R12 systems as well as the newer systems...It is the oil used for the different systems that make them incompatable.

DamonSlowpokeBaumann said:
The reasoning behind Freeze is that its compatable with old R12 systems as well as the newer systems...It is the oil used for the different systems that make them incompatable.
The reasoning behind freeze-12 is sales ;) ;) The "12" is just marketing gimmick to get you to think its an r12 drop-in. In fact, its not.. it requires new oil. IMO, just bite the bullet.. flush the lines, replace the accumulator, fill it with 8oz of ester oil, pull a vaccuum, and charge it with 32oz of r134a. Or... fix the r12 problem and and use original r12.. even though its more pricey, in the end it will work better and if the leaks are fixed properly, it becomes a one-time cost.

You hear the term "topping off" the refrigerant used by shops.. here's the deal.. A/C systems were never designed to need topping off. They are designed as a closed system. If you have a leak, you have a problem that needs fixing and if left unattended to will toast your compressor. Shops get away with this because consumers demand a low-cost fix.. "just get it running and get me out the door". We all do it, myself included. But this tune-up doesn't address the problem and after a years time, or in my case about 3 months, the whole system craps out due to the loss of oil from the leak and the subsequent siezing up of the compressor which also takes out the condenser and O-tube.

There's really only 1 right fix but its not cheap.

why does the accumulator need to be changed? Is there a different version or is it that you cant get contaminants out of it?

why does the accumulator need to be changed? Is there a different version or is it that you cant get contaminants out of it?

Because theres still residual oil in there and the molecular sieve that removes moisture from your system doesnt last forever.

Doug

Accumulator Dryers sometimes also require replacement due to the desiccant bag inside becoming saturated with moisture. If you have run long term with a leaking system and failed to evacuate the system when recharging (just dumped in more freon) the moisture laden air that has entered the system will be "dried" by the accumulator/dryer until the desiccant bag becomes saturated.

Dryers/ Accumulators also need to be replaced when the system is opened and exposed to outside humidity and when retrofitting as old style dryers dessicant is not compatable with newer refrigerants and oils causing the desicant bag to rupture and contaminate the entire A/C system.

Back