Fixing window that's come off clips....

JStudrawa

Driver's window has been off the two clips that are on the bar that lowers and raises it. Motor's fine, window's fine, clips are fine. Ford dealers have reattached with epoxy a few times over the past 8 years. Plus I've used the strongest stuff I can find from Home Depot, auto parts stores, etc.

The edge tracks may be a bit tight, causing a lot of stress on the epoxy.

So, is there an epoxy/glue that is above and beyond all others and can adhere to glass and plastic like steel? Or is it possible to drill small holes in the window and clips and run wire thru, or will the window and/or clips shatter?

Thanks for any suggestions, I'm real tired of having to help the window up and down each time by hand.

Josh

This post has a lot of info:

http://sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44295

There are almost as many favorite adhesives as there are posters on the board! I like something that dries a little rubbery to help absorb some shock. I cleaned my glass and clips very throughly and even scuff them up a bit with sandpaper before using some black silicone on them.

I also left the window rolled up tight for a few days to allow the silicon time to dry completely.

If you think your window channels are too tight and dragging on the glass, you should lube them up as well.

One of the links in the above mentioned post is to the Ford TSB on the repair.

I used the silicone trick about two and a half years ago. I have had no more trouble with it comming off the clips any more.

I had a similar problem on my 89. I unbolted the clips from the track and used a die grinder to get them down to bare metal. i also removed the window completely from the door ( It just pulls out from the outside of the door). I took the die grinder to the glass to clean it and scuff the surface to allow the glue a little more grip. Rub everything down w/ rubbing alcohol. I put the window back in the door, put the glue in the clips and put the window up tight. the glue that has been holding my window for over a year is from Autozone. Its a 2 part epoxy (1 tube, comes out and you mix it like JB Weld). Says plastic adhesive, works on almost anything. Good Luck!
(BTW, if anyone is working on pass side, get metal clips from driver door in the bone yard, metal clips soooo much better.)

Last edited:
Back