true dual exhaust on n/a 3.8

capitanBS

I've searched and many threads on this forum, but none really answer my question or satisfy my curiosity. I have a 94 n/a v6 and have recently replaced my head gaskets as well as many other gaskets. I got the heads resurfaced and had a valve job done. I have a k&n intake. I would like to put a true dual exhaust setup on the car. What should I expect to pay and what parts should I get for the setup. I don't have a huge budget, but I'm not in a hurry either. I know it's not nearly as good as an sc, but I absolutely love this car.

P.S. Im also considering installing a set of headers from a 97 3.8, I can get some for about $16 each. (U Wrench It in VA Beach is awesome!)

any help would be appreciated, this web site has helped me tremendously in the past.

True Dual Cat-Back Exhaust

I had True Dual Flowmaster 40 Series installed a few months ago, cat-back & removed resonator. They cost me $400.00 installed, and they sound really nice. You are not going to get the tone you would get from a 4.6 or 5.0, but when putting some power to the floor, they roar! Give a few months for them to break in. I had them done at Lou's Custom Exhaust in Roxbury, Massachusetts. www.louscustomexhaust.com

Get as magnaflow 2 in two out resonator.Some mufflers and have a shop put it all in for ya..On a 94 you can run the true dual..Make sure you use that resonator

go with no bigger than 2" duals into a single 2.5" then split to duals again out back. Trust me, 3" single mid pipe is too big for N/A.............

I'm going to stick my 2 cents in on this one. If you go with a true dual setup and feel there is the most remote chance you will continue to mod down the road at any point in time, go 2 1/4 all the way back. If you are truely concerned with loss of low end torque, get a smaller muffler inlet/outlet to add some backpressure into the system. This will allow you to inexpensively upgrade your system down the road by just changing the mufflers without having to redo it all over again.

Paul

thanx guys for all the info. BTW I went to a local Big Al's muffler & brakes shop a couple of months ago and the guy there said that it was federal law that true dual exhaust was illegal. I think that he's full of $***, but I will say that he had one of the prettiest mullets that I've ever seen.

ya'll have truely inspired me, I'm going to really start on putting this together. :D

IF you keep your cats you can do WHATEVER you want with the rest of the exhaust. N/A V6's didn't get the 3rd cat until 96'

I went with 2/14 true duals. you will need a late model gas tank. As long as you have the tank off its a good time to upgrade your fuel pump. I didnt put in an exhaust crossover pipe and I should have that is my next upgrade if you use cat and mufflers you dont need a resanator. good luck with your mod. Tim

Back