p/s pump pulley install trouble

blowmyv6

I'm finishing up putting the engine back together after changing the head gaskets in my 89 and I'm almost finished. I can't get the p/s pump pulley back on. It's almost there, maybe a 1/4 inch left on the input shaft. But I'm using so much torque I'm afraid to go any further. I'm using a rented installer tool from autozone. It feels like something's going to snap if I go any further. The engine is literally lifting up out of the engine bay, and this is on almost brand new motor mounts installed a few weeks ago.

Is there something that I should check for or maybe something I had to do first? All I did was thread in the screw and start forcing. Maybe backwards? Which way is it supposed to go?

A trick I use

Suggest you pull it back off....put in freezer over night. Use some PB BLASTER on the shaft and remount the pulley cold. It should go back on easy then.

Of course check it for burrs. I bought a cheap $20.00 PS Pump Puller/Installer from Harbor Freight and it worked fine. (sometimes on sale for $10.00)

Hope this helps!

Power steering pulley installer/ puller

3Tbird

Would you happen to have the stock # on that puller you got from Harbor freight? I bought one a while back from them and it was the wrong one

actually, you want to heat the pulley prior to installing. That way it expands a little. So stick it in the oven for about ten minutes and install.

And put a bag of ice over the shaft.

Part #

Conan56 said:
3Tbird

Would you happen to have the stock # on that puller you got from Harbor freight? I bought one a while back from them and it was the wrong one

Model # 40749 Pulley Remover & Installer Set

Before I do this, I can't remember which way the pulley goes on. There's two sides; one that's dished in and and one that's more or less flat. Which side is supposed to face the pump and which is supposed to face the I/C?

Wow, I had this sinking feeling as I remembered what that little ring was for on the pulley. In one of my most dumbest-*** things I've ever done I installed the pulley backwards. Now I've been sitting here for the last hour trying to get it off of there.

Any suggestions?

Ouch. Put it on backwards? That's going to be a problem. That is a interference fit on that shaft so getting it off will require some effort. You're going to need to use heat to try and get the pulley to let loose so you can slide it off. MAPP gas in a propane torch might be enough, but most likely someone with an OxyAcetelyne torch is going to be needed.

Can you get the pump off the car with it the way it is? If so, pull the pump off. A machine shop might have a tool they can use. Otherwise you might have to drill it.

Personally I'd start checking salvage yards for a replacement pulley Without that nub to grab onto, anywhere you grab the pulley will bend it and make it useless.

Man I hate SC's. It's all back together but now there's coolant shooting out from the back of the engine when running.

Maybe you just pulled a hose loose when you were literally moving the engine up and sown while messing with the p/s pulley.

Okay now its running, kinda.

-big exhaust leak.... oh well I'll take care of that later
-BAD misfire, sounds like one of those 7 second drag cars w/a wicked cam, except not as cool lol. Jerks and bucks under acceleration.
-knocking, pretty bad
- supercharger jumps and spikes up to like 15lbs.
-engine is smoking

So there's the report on the car that eventually is getting its 3.8 pulled out and beat to ****, set on fire, then I'm going to drop in a built 5.0 and live like normal people do.

...but I want to try and find the problem because in the short ~2-3months I've owned the car I've already put about 1500 into keeping it running. I should have waited tilthe headgaskets blew all the way and drove it into the ground. The worst part is it was running fine before I swapped the headgaskets.

what kind of vacuum are you pulling at idle? It sounds like you may have a leaking intercooler tube. how did you reseal them? Also are all the lines installed and in the right place? Do you have a crossed plug wire? Have you pulled the codes?

You have to take your time working on these cars unless you have the experience of Dave N. or XR7Dave.

Take a break, relax and then methodically double check your work. Take the time to make sure you have everything in the right place and no vacuum leaks. Is your oil still clean? You might want do a compression test.

Lots of guys change headgaskets themselve but I don't believe one of them would say it was easy.

Good Luck

Back