pusher fan question

Thomas95SC

I noticed that my pusher fan never seems to come on. It runs when we put it on a OBD computer but other than that, i've never noticed it on. I was wondering if I could just remove it to improve the air flow through my radiator?. Would it make a difference?

I really don't know why Ford added this on the 94/95 models. At first I was told it was due to the less efficient R134a refrigerant & therefore it helped push more air through the condensor; other say it's a safety if the motor overheats. Anyway I believe it only comes on above 228 deg. if the high speed fan isn't sufficient.

I think it's also wired to come on if the puller fan isn't working. The only time I've seen my pusher fan working was when the puller fan was burned out. The pusher fan would come on immediately and didn't wait for the 228 degree threshold. Once I replaced the puller fan, the pusher quit coming on.

I just replaced the motor for my pusher fan, which was seized up. Before I did it, the A/C compressor would short cycle at idle, & the air out the vents would get warm. Now the fan runs whenever it's real hot out & the A/C is on, & the compressor no longer short cycles.

That's interesting because my 'pusher fan' on my '94 will run with the KOEO test; but I've never seen it running under normal operating conditions. The information I have says it only comes on at 228 deg, if the main fan fails. The fan that runs in response to the a/c is the regular low speed puller fan & then that cuts off at highway speeds around 48mph, I believe it is ( unless there is a normal cooling demand triggered by the temp. sensor of course).
From what I've read adding a pusher fan to older models doesn't give you much benefit - better off installing a 180 t/stat and/or overriding the stock 2 speed fan set-up.

hey Mcate...i wanted to ask you if you can post that replacement part # for the pusher fan as well as the store wher you got it in the 'part #'s' page in the FAQ section. Thats definatelly a number i'd like to be able to find.

yea, i need a pusher fan too ... with a new Water Pump, 180 TStat, fresh 30/70 of anti/water and i still ride right at 'M' or slightly above ... do i have some other problem? also, when i shut off my engine, i see bubbles in my reservoir, why? the reason i am able to see this, is because my puller fan is wired straight to battery ... trying to make it to payday, or should i just find a switched lead? is this causing my CEL?

Back