exhaust leak and downpipe replacement

JJanney

Recently, a tech at Tire Kingdom scraped my exhaust system while taking my car off the lift. I took it to Midas today to find out that there is a crack in the pipe that runs off the exhaust manifold. I assume this is the downpipe.

I have the older MN-12 Performance Exhaust system. I am wondering where I could purchase another downpipe. I e-mailed Rich at MN-12 Performance to see if he has any suggestions. I do have cats also.

I know that TBird88 makes downpipes, but I am not sure if it will fit up to my current exhaust system.

Thanks,
Jeremy

You'll want to get the proper diameter from Rich for the pipes he was selling at the time. I believe that the down pipes from www.texasthunderbirds.com are 2.25" steel and many of the aftermarket units are 2.5".

I'm suprised that Midas shop can't make one for you. You might want to check a couple other auto repair places that do exhaust work. All you need is one that does custom exhuast. They can make you a new down tube.

Otherwise you can always adapt a 2.25 down tube to 2.5" pipes with a reducer. It's not ideal, but it will fix the problem if you want to get the parts from Wynn.

(Keep in mind that www.supercoupeperformance.com has both 2.25 and 2.5 downtubes that they sell)

I was suprised Midas could not do it either. Or at least slap a weld on there temporarily.

Thanks for the suggestions, Mike.

Back