rattle while in gear... please help

darkstar_one

ok there is this rattle coming from the driver side rear window, that lil one after the door, well it only does it while im driving, it doesnt do it in PARK or NEUTRAL. Its not the window, its not loose or anything. I already took off the panel and removed the rear speaker. Its hard to tell if its in there or coming from underneath the car with only one person. Dont have anyone else to help me. please help.

Rattle

darkstar_one said:
ok there is this rattle coming from the driver side rear window, that lil one after the door, well it only does it while im driving, it doesnt do it in PARK or NEUTRAL. Its not the window, its not loose or anything. I already took off the panel and removed the rear speaker. Its hard to tell if its in there or coming from underneath the car with only one person. Dont have anyone else to help me. please help.

Just a thought.. but maybe the insides of the Cat's have broken free.. and rattling...

I had a similar rattle.. Had one shop tell me it was coming from my transmission...

I took the car to my trusted mechanic.. to work on the transmission..

He told me it wasn't the transmission.. but the insides of the Cat on the Passenger side that was rattling... (he gutted the cat for me) (Temp fix of course.. )

Karl

I had almost the exact same problem that you describe here. When you first start up the car, put it in gear and have the e-brake on(or have someone else mash the brakes), and hold the exhast centerpipe where it comes near the drivers door. and see if it stops rattling. It may be the mounting for the exhaust hanger. what i did to fix it was to take it off, and wrap the mounting plate in electrical tape(leaving a hole for the bolt to go back in of course) and then reinstall everything. It's an easy enough fix if the mounting point is the rattling and takes less than 15 minutes.

Andrew :cool:

hmmmm.... i will try that, i mean i did remove the gas tank a lil while ago and knowing me i probably left the exhaust hanger extra loose. thanx. any more suggestions

Back