Tryingto remove front calippers

quick35th

Trying to remove front calippers

I was going to try to change the brake pads out on my 35th yesturday and ran across a problem. Are the to bolts on the back of the calippers allen bolts or star bolts and what size are they? The one on the top driver's side calipper maybe stripped alittle. How can I get it out?

Shane

Last edited:
quick35th said:
I was going to try to change the brake pads out on my 35th yesturday and ran across a problem. Are the to bolts on the back of the calippers allen bolts or star bolts and what size are they? The one on the top driver's side calipper maybe stripped alittle. How can I get it out?

Shane
That would be a TORX bit you need to use.... the size you need is T-40.

I actually broke my T-40 trying to take mine loose..... so what I used was a pair channel-loc's to break them loose. When installing the bolts back... you can use the T-35 bit (which is the next size smaller) until it starts to get tight then you again will have to use the channel loc's to tighten. Yes it will screw up the bolt heads a little as well as the rubber gomment around it, but it'll take it off. I believe FORD, maybe NAPA has new ones, though not sure... never persued them.

Help this helps!

Jeff B.

Thanks Jeff for the advice. I'll try getting ahold of Napa or Ford today about the bolts if I have time.

Shane

You can usually by-pass that problem by removing the caliper and frame together (need to anyway if you are removing the rotors to cut or replace them). I recall there are 2 x 15mm bolts holding the caliper frame to the steering knuckle. Once you have the whole assembly off (don't let the calipers hang on just their hose - use a piece of wire or hook to take the weight off the hose) you can then simple separate the two parts by pulling the calipers off the slider pins. Once you are ready to re-assemble with the new pads, grease-up those pins with new brake or silicone grease, push the calipers back on & make sure the rubber boots are correctly in place.

Back