AOD removal

your looking at a full days work.

drop the front exhaust, either drop the gas tank or lower the rear end to remove the driveshaft, remove the transmission.

is it gonna be like a direct replacement, u will have the transmission ur putting in on stand by? or ur gonna get it rebuilt?

hope it helps, let me know if u need more info

darkstar_one said:
your looking at a full days work.

drop the front exhaust, either drop the gas tank or lower the rear end to remove the driveshaft, remove the transmission.

is it gonna be like a direct replacement, u will have the transmission ur putting in on stand by? or ur gonna get it rebuilt?

hope it helps, let me know if u need more info
2 S/C's side by side ... one with blown engine.. one with bad trans... swap good tranny for bad tranny???

It's much easier if you have a transmission jack and good lifting equipment is a must. If I wasn't doing it in a nicely equipped air conditioned shop with two lifts I think I'd plan a weekend, or maybe a 3 day weekend, but I always seem to run into something that slows me up working in the driveway or my little garage.

Get a can of PB Blaster and soak all the nuts and bolts down a day or so before you start.

Make sure you can turn the rear wheels or you'll have a hard time getting to at least one bolt on the driveshaft/rear end coupling.

In the absence of a transmission jack make *sure* the transmission is supported and balanced before you cut any bolts loose or you may literally drop it.

Last edited:
doodaa said:
It's much easier if you have a transmission jack and good lifting equipment is a must.
I've heard more than one person say not to even try it w/o a transmission jack. You can rent them if you don't have one.

it took me 4 hours to get mine out, just used good ol hand tools, no air. just used a regular floor jack with a piece of plywood but would definately recommend a trans jack

Of all of the times I've pulled the AOD out of my car (probably a dozen, 3 times in the past year), I've never used a transmission jack!, just a floor jack. It can be done in a day without a lift, I'd figure a weekend for a first-timer.

Yeah, a floor jack and small piece of plywood to spread the load on the pan worked for me. Don't work by yourself though. It's never a good idea to work under the car alone.

Jerry

Back