Has my car been wrecked?

ThunderDave

While I was replacing the front stabilizer bar end links, I noticed that the top of my right tire was almost up against the joint that connects the spindle to the upper control arm. The left side has plenty of room and I'm running 225/60/16 on both sides.

007 supercoupe told me that it most likely meant that the spindle had been bent. The guy I bought the car from told me that as far as he knew, it had never been wrecked. Is there anyone that can run my vin # and check for me to see if it was? 007 supercoupe has a set of spindles from his car that he replaced and I'll be getting them sometime, but just wondering if it had been wrecked, if I should be looking for other things too.

Thanks for any help.

David

One thing you may want to do is look for the VIN stickers on your body pannels. Ford put a little sticker with the VIN on it on all body parts. The stickers should all be there if it wasn't wrecked. In your case the VIN stickers should be on the inside lip of the fenders near where the hood supports are.

Hope this helps.

Shane

NCredSC,
More than likely you won't find anything out by running a vin through a check. I only say that because not everything is reported carfax. The spindle, if it is bent could be the result of hitting a curb hard. It will cause some damage, but most of the time it wouldn't even be reported to the insurance, let alone carfax.
Have you taken it to a reputable mechanic and inquired there? Most of the time they will look at it for little to nothing. Bushing bind can give you an inproper ride heigth. I'm not sure if that is something that you can look into as well.
Email me about the spindles if you still need/want them. I'm going to be doing the suspension (finally) in the next 2-3 weeks.

Gosh Sam, I thought I was slow at getting around to do stuff. It rides and drives like it should and as far as I can tell, it sets pretty level from side to side. I do know the bushings and ball joints and such do need replacing, but the difference in the spindles has me concerned. I'll pull the wheels and measure them like you suggested. See, I told you I was slow.

Shane, I'll check and see if the stickers are there.

Thanks,

David

I had someone on here run the vin for me and it came back clean, so maybe it was just a curb or something. I used to have a 69 Dodge Coronet 500 with a 360 in it and it got loose from me one time in mid turn and I ended up hitting a curb and breaking the A frame, so I know it can happen. I was the only car involved, so didn't report it. That torsion bar suspension was a pain in the ***! :D

David

Yeah, I've only been working on getting the front suspension done for, oh say the last 7 months! But what started out as a rack and pinion replacement has grown into a full suspension job. And it was complicated by the fact that I wanted it all painted red. So that has been the big slow down...painting, because I did it all by hand. But now it is all painted and I can get to the replacement pretty soon. I got distracted last weekend though and pulled the sc off my '89 (it's a '95 supercharger) and am currently rebuilding it and porting it out some. That should be done this weekend, so then I can get to some of that other stuff I've been slowly working on!

Here's my thought on why I'm so slow...I only want to do it once, so here's what I'm replacing:
rack and pinion
outer tie rod ends
spindles (upgrading to '93 and up)
mark 8 brakes
lower control arm
strut rod
upper control arm
sway bar end links
hub and bearing assembly
tranny mount
cross member bushings
differential bushings
rear differential mount
knuckle bushings
and while I'm working on the differential, I'm going to have it rebuilt with 3.73's that I have sitting on the shelf...

So it has taken me a little while to gather up all the parts to get them all with bushings (bought the poly sets) and ball joints etc. Then there is that painting issue...That has taken some time...at least 4 coats on each part!

But I"m ready now and all it is going to take is scheduling it with my friend who has all the tools! Then it'll be done.

007_SuperCoupe said:
Yeah, I've only been working on getting the front suspension done for, oh say the last 7 months! But what started out as a rack and pinion replacement has grown into a full suspension job. And it was complicated by the fact that I wanted it all painted red. So that has been the big slow down...painting, because I did it all by hand. But now it is all painted and I can get to the replacement pretty soon. I got distracted last weekend though and pulled the sc off my '89 (it's a '95 supercharger) and am currently rebuilding it and porting it out some. That should be done this weekend, so then I can get to some of that other stuff I've been slowly working on!

Here's my thought on why I'm so slow...I only want to do it once, so here's what I'm replacing:
rack and pinion
outer tie rod ends
spindles (upgrading to '93 and up)
mark 8 brakes
lower control arm
strut rod
upper control arm
sway bar end links
hub and bearing assembly
tranny mount
cross member bushings
differential bushings
rear differential mount
knuckle bushings
and while I'm working on the differential, I'm going to have it rebuilt with 3.73's that I have sitting on the shelf...

So it has taken me a little while to gather up all the parts to get them all with bushings (bought the poly sets) and ball joints etc. Then there is that painting issue...That has taken some time...at least 4 coats on each part!

But I"m ready now and all it is going to take is scheduling it with my friend who has all the tools! Then it'll be done.

Sounds like it should be very nice. I don't blame you for taking your time and getting everything you need before you start. It's been said, if you have time to do it twice, you have time to do it right the first time. So, don't be in any hurry.

David

David - did you just change the sway bar links, install a bigger bar + links and/or lower springs. I've been unable to find any info on shorter links to match a lowered suspension.

Joisey Jim said:
David - did you just change the sway bar links, install a bigger bar + links and/or lower springs. I've been unable to find any info on shorter links to match a lowered suspension.

Jim, all I did was replace the worn out bar links with some used ones that were in really good shape. I haven't lowered the car so the springs and such should be stock.

David

Back