large crack in oil pan

bman1985

Well tryin to beat a yellow light I slammed the gas crossing the road(stupid idea), my shocks are pretty worn and my car's front end slammed into the road, drove a minute then smoke was everywhere followed by that nice red check gauge light. Anyhow stopped to check what I figued the problem was, nice big inch wide crack going down my oil pan next to the drain plug.

Anywho my question is is this something I should attempt myself? I just changed motor mounts a week ago, my friend told me I should have broken my oil pan before I changed the motor mounts. lol.

I looked over the chilton manual and it looks attemptable except where it says "it is recommended to use and engine hois to lift the engine although wooden blocks and a jack iwll work it may not provide enough room to remove the subframe and oil pan safely" :eek:

My plan was wooden blocks and a jack, I don't have an engine hoist in my driveway so this looked like my only hold up on the project.
Can anybody offer suggestions?

seems you should attempt not to drive the car, and head to the junkyard and find a oil pan. If you want i can sell u the spare one i have. nice condition.

oh I know, the cloud of smoked signaled me to turn off the engine and coast as far as possible, luckily I was headed not too far and downhill on a back road so I got it into the neighborhood where I was working.
thanks for the offer on the pan, I'd take it but if I can fix it myself I'm going to try and do it this weekend. the dealer ordered a nice $115 one for me :(

Back