Custom Intercooler Tubes Done

Rich Thomson

All 2 1/2" 304 stainless steel mandrel bent pipes tig welded together. Now I can get them powder coated chrome. The top IC tubes comes about 1" from touching the hood blanket. Comments or questions? I will be able to start the engine now that the IC piping is done.

ic-tubes-pic1.JPG

ic-tubes-pic2.JPG

ic-tubes-pic3.JPG

Uh, maybe I am out of the loop but where is the intercooler? Did you go liquid to air or something?

I may be wronge obut this,but i beleive you can polish them up to a finish as bright and shiny as chrome. May save some $.

Powder coating will be my choice. Dupont has a chrome powder coating that looks great. The orange elbows I got from Turbonetics which is where I got the intercooler.

The FMIC is here.

ic-mounted.JPG

The frame I made on the car.

ic-frame.JPG

Rich, the kit looks very impressive. I(as i'm sure most are) am eagerly awaiting pricing info. With the whipple, this front mount and other enthusiast's tops, it looks like MP's reign of overpricing their performance parts is going to be a thing of the past... for us sc'ers at least.

it seems that you dont have a clamp on the turbo hose where it connects to the sc top. :confused: just wondering about that. but its an awesome looking kit. and if it can be had for less than a grand im all for it. my pockets arent deep enough for the MP FMIC. lol. great job.

The car is still not started yet. I have all the clamps. Expect to have first start by end of July.

The IC is From Spearco it is the model 2-221 3.5"Dx18.48"Wx6"H

Same IC used in the Spearco Toyota Supra kit 2-142 1987-92.

I am not looking to offer this as a kit or alternative to Magnum Powers FMIC.

When the How-To article is finished you should be able to do the same for $800 - $1000.

Jason Wild said:
Rich I think you should sell it as a kit. :p

People would have to delete the A/C condensor or buy the shorter one made by Aircon. I like the idea of the IC being infront though.

Jerry

The bends in the pipes are too tight to be made on a mandrel bending machine. I cut a series of 45 and 90 degree elbows to achive the desired routing for the upper and lower. The stainless steel pipe and elbows will cost about $150 then you have about $200 in silicone hose bends. It took the shop almost 2 hours to tig weld both pipes.

I did switch to the shorter Aircon AC Condenser. You see it in this picture.

ic-mounted.JPG

Wow, that looks really nice! One question though...what is the diameter of a stock upper IC tube? The reason I ask is because it would be awesome (for aesthetic purposes) if you could use the upper IC tube and perhaps cut the IC end of it, and then weld whatever custom piping job you want...hence keeping the "SUPERCHARGED" lettering. I think that the upper IC tube (besides the supercharger and "3.8" top) is one of the most characterizing marks of our cars and engines. The stock tube appears to follow the same path as the MP front mount and Rich's custom pipes..so its not like the position could be changed. Unless the diameter of the stock tube is too small i dont see why it couldtn be done. Just a thought...nevertheless, keep up the awesome job!

Back