idle/vaccum problems

RedBirdSC

Ok have a little issue i'm getting fed up with :(

I finnished my headgasket swap awhile ago, and fired the car up, it help 10-12" of vaccum. But I had the firing order wrong so I switched it back to how its supposed to be. Now the boost gauge reads 0 at idle, idles like its on 5 cyl or has one hell of a cam, like a plug wire is unplugged. It also sits around 500 rpms, it will idle without touching the throttle after its been started and died twice. It has brand new taylor wires and brand new autolite plugs in it. All the ic tubes are sealed good, and all the vaccum connections on the plenum have are sealed with hose clamps.Its only exhaust at the current moment is ported manifolds. Any ideas? Any and all help is much appreciated, I have until early August to get this car running good, thanks n advance, Justin

edit- I havent run codes yet, but theres no check engline light, and after every time I run it, I have to unplug the battery(its not mine and I dont want to risk killing it so I stick it back in my brothers car and drive around with it to charge it back up)

Last edited:
If you're removing the battery after running the car, are you giving the EEC ample time to relearn everything? It sometimes takes several miles or minutes to relearn after removing the battery.

No its not having enough time to relearn everything. But I can't really drive it like this either. It has pretty much no power. I've let it run for about 20 mins. turned it off and fired it up about 20 mins later, and it still ran the same.

The coil pack is set up to fire pairs of plugs on both the exhaust and compression stokes. I'd check it again. Firing order is: 142536 which means 1,5 4,3 and 2,6 will be across from each other on the pack. 1 is pass side front, 4 is driver side front.
If all thats OK, sounds like cylinder balance test time. ;)

Well I used David Neibert's diagram for the firing order. But on his diagram, cyls 1 and 5 are switched of what you say, he has 5 in the pass front and 1 in the back... I'm debating about just pulling the motor out, and rebuild it over my xmas break from school(4.0 and whipple time if I do that) and just drive my mustang down there. I'm getting sick of messing with it.

I changed the oil in it a couple times already, so the internals are nice clean and lubed. There is no oil in the coolant, and the level stays constant. It just runs like it has a plug wire unpluged, which actualy may be possible, because cyl number 5's plug wire i didn't feel snap, but it feels seated, same with cyls 1/2 I think it was.I guess I'll go back under it and check again.

When I first fired it, sounded like it was firing on the wrong cyl's, so I double checked the firing order, I had cyl's 5 and 6 switched. 6 popped right on, 5 was sort of a bitch because of the dipstick tube. Then the vaccum dropped to 0 but it ran the same. So maybe its possible i have a bad plug wire or something, or a plug wire isn't plugged all the way in.

thanks for the suggestions

Last edited:
Just to clarify. On the coil pack, 5 is pass side front, 6 is middle front, 4 is driver side front. 1 is pass side back, 2 is middle back, 3 is driver side back.

Cylinder 1 is pass side front, cylinder 4 is driver side front. :cool:

Oh, and if you don't know, its a lot easier to access the plug boots from underneath the car.

Last edited:
Ok were on the same page now :cool: I thought you were saying 1 was front on the coil pack lol. I'll mess with the car tomorrow. Thanks again, Justin

Back