PDA

View Full Version : O2 Sensors

Chuckie
07-15-2004, 11:12 AM
Okay, I am new, and I am thinking about getting this 89 SC. I have heard that they have really bad head gasket problems and that exhaust should be the first thing done when you are going to start modding. I was wondering where the O2 Sensors are located...would electric cutouts be a good solution for the exhaust problem? Could I put them before the cats or would it have to be after the o2 sensors? Thanks a lot...

Joisey Jim
07-15-2004, 11:46 AM
Chuckie - all the Ford 3.8 V6 engines are prone to head gasket failure, due primarily to the close proximity of the coolant passage on cylinder #3. It's amplified on the SC because the combustion ratio jumps from 8:1 to 12:1 when under boost. Don't know anything about 'electric cutouts' on the exhaust but dependant upon year most SC 02 sensors are either in the manifold collector or the downpipe adjacent to one of the cats.

Chuckie
07-15-2004, 11:50 AM
http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/QTEC/

THat is what I was talking about and thinking about getting. It would have to be places after the sensors wouldn't it? It would screw stuff up if it were befor ea sensor wouldn't it?

Joisey Jim
07-15-2004, 11:56 AM
Yes, I would think so.